Since I was a Little Kid

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
There have been many changes.

There were no books in the house besides the family dictionary and bible. Now ... upstairs in a rental house where we lived during the earliest years of me learning to read, there were several volumes of something called "The Book of Knowledge." The owners had left them there and, altho I probably wanted to take them when we moved, we didn't.

Mom would drive into town and while shopping, leave me at the public library. What a Remarkable Place! The children's room was downstairs and above the bookcases, absolutely FULL of books, there were paintings of Aesop's Fables. I doubt if I could read those fables when I first saw the mural but they provided motivation to read. I can still remember when I ventured up to the adult library – where i wasn't sure that i should be. How i hid in those aisles and what books were there, shaped my interests through life :).

Anyway. You may have read Aesop's Fables at one time. Here's a LINK for you to read them now in a 1919 version ;). No, I wasn't around in 1919.

Want to indulge in a little nostalgia? What has changed since you were a kid?

View attachment 64117Steve
Well, now we have cell phones, Internet, and everyone has a computer! Not many people use trash compactors or vacuum cleaners that are just part of the house anymore. No more grocery stores that have a black and white "generic isle." Prices of everything have gone to the moon!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
... Not many people use trash compactors or vacuum cleaners that are just part of the house anymore.

of all places i've ever been only one had it that i knew of and that was the family cottage at a lake. with 10 children it meant that sometimes in the summer we'd have overlapping families there and it was always fun to stay extra if people would let you (and usually they did). plug in the wall vacuum... such an odd thing. i never saw it being cleaned out...

No more grocery stores that have a black and white "generic isle." Prices of everything have gone to the moon!

sometimes the prices have been fairly stable but you get less in the packages.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
zlandline.jpg

zdollar.jpg
Actually, we called it the "five & dime," Dennis. Maybe I'm older than your dad. Nah ... but, I'd like to lobby to rid ourselves of both the nickle and the penny. Pointless to have the federal mint making those coins and it costing more than they are worth. (I bet there were "penny stores," a hundred years ago.)

Latest posts