What Did You Do In The Garden?

akroberts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I did a wild garden last year and OMG I didn't know what pepper plants were where. It seems as though I need a much better garden plan. This year I think my focus is more on potatoes onions and garlic. I really need my squash corn tomatoes and herbs to be healthy but so much work to do and I am the only person in my family that even cares about the garden. 😭I almost feel defeated and depressed about it. They would rather pay for chemicals and toxins versus home grown and chemical free food 🤢

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There was a bit of complaining from me about moving grass sod so as to double the size of the backyard garden but, yes, I like to have fertile, productive soil. I would be delighted if some of this compost components were available in 2024 for the plants. There's so much potential in that material and so much of it in the 3 backyard locations for this "new ground."

I thought of @Phaedra yesterday because of Webster's Dictionary's Word of the Day. "Ken." The example for use was, "Creating showy displays of florals along a pathway or verdant plots of perennials in shady backyard nooks – well, much of that is still beyond my ken. I don’t know my spurges from my woodruffs."

Pretty nice example of an uncommon English word for a talented gardener with Phaedra's language skills. Aaannd, a cute little lesson for us everyday speakers of English.

Just a little searching and I came up with that quote from the London Ontario newspaper columnist, Larry Cornies. LINK He is writing about what he is missing by not being a gardener, @akroberts . Flowers, yes (cute also that Webster's gives us the definition links on their page). But also, the importance to health. BTW, notice the location for that organization headquarters in Burnaby, BC, @Branching Out ;).

Food. Right now. I'm mostly about food — it is time for breakfast!

Steve

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I did a wild garden last year and OMG I didn't know what pepper plants were where. It seems as though I need a much better garden plan. This year I think my focus is more on potatoes onions and garlic. I really need my squash corn tomatoes and herbs to be healthy but so much work to do and I am the only person in my family that even cares about the garden. 😭I almost feel defeated and depressed about it. They would rather pay for chemicals and toxins versus home grown and chemical free food 🤢
Well, the good news is you can keep it all to yourself! 😋

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Picked a lot of salad greens for ourselves and hens/quails, so delicious~
440336279_422211050529279_6183799937021519963_n.jpg

akroberts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Walked out to the garden today. Pulled some of the crabgrass out of the greenhouse. Pulled up some of the carrots bc they were so close together that they weren't growing. Other than that it's my lazy day.

Latest posts