Where can I find dwarf water lilies?

Blueberry Acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I want to make a mini pond in a container with some water lilies (both regular size and dwarf) and other aquatic plants, similar to these container ponds:

patio_pond_stocked__93573_1.jpg

Mini-pond-for-balcony13.jpg

However, I'm having trouble finding dwarf water lilies to purchase. Does anyone know of a reasonably priced place I can get them? Thanks in advance!

Also, if any of you have done a container pond, please let me know! I'm new at this and I'd love some tips and photos.

Last edited:

Blueberry Acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
@Phaedra, I see you had a container pond in 2023, do you still have it?

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Phaedra, I see you had a container pond in 2023, do you still have it?
I have two, and yes, still have them. I just took the water lilies out and soaked them in other buckets, because I washed both containers and will refill them with water after all cherry blossoms are gone. :)

Blueberry Acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have two, and yes, still have them. I just took the water lilies out and soaked them in other buckets, because I washed both containers and will refill them with water after all cherry blossoms are gone. :)
Nice! What size containers are they?

Blueberry Acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
80L containers
I'm thinking about using this container: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/red-shed-whiskey-barrel-planter-with-rope-2279977

I saw it online but haven't gone to the store to look at it yet. The depth is not listed on the website and I want to make sure it's deep enough for regular-sized water lilies.

pretty ok for creating a water feature
I have a little solar-powered fountain that I might use. I usually use it in my birdbaths.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This may be a good question for @secuono .

She is a pond gardener, with all her koi. She may have purchased from someone online.

I have a little fountain for bird water coming in the mail – a gift from DS. It will sit under a cast iron pump, like the one in a friend's kitchen when I was a little kid ;). The pump was also a gift from a (different) friend for a house warming, 29 years ago :rolleyes:. He wanted me to put it on a brick planter/corner post I built along the sidewalk. One & a half blocks from an elementary school, the kids would be playing with that everyday! (Ask me how I know ;).)

Steve

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I want to make a mini pond in a container with some water lilies (both regular size and dwarf) and other aquatic plants, similar to these container ponds:

patio_pond_stocked__93573_1.jpg

Mini-pond-for-balcony13.jpg

However, I'm having trouble finding dwarf water lilies to purchase. Does anyone know of a reasonably priced place I can get them? Thanks in advance!

Also, if any of you have done a container pond, please let me know! I'm new at this and I'd love some tips and photos.
We have lots of lakes and ponds around the PNW that have wild growing yellow pond lilies. They are so beautiful!

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Years ago, I bought from this lady. Can't remember what, though. Lol
Screenshot_20240406_203646_Facebook.jpg

There's dwarf tiger lily for aquariums. They actually grow to a big size in a tank if given proper light, but is small for ponds.

My koi eat delicate things like lily and lotus, and they take up a ton of surface space, so I don't really have any. So, can't help much with finding cheap ones.

Blueberry Acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Years ago, I bought from this lady. Can't remember what, though. Lol
View attachment 65004

There's dwarf tiger lily for aquariums. They actually grow to a big size in a tank if given proper light, but is small for ponds.

My koi eat delicate things like lily and lotus, and they take up a ton of surface space, so I don't really have any. So, can't help much with finding cheap ones.
I'll take a look! Thanks so much!

Latest posts