2014 garden season.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sorry we havent been on much this year, been a little busy.
Anywho, our garden season this year is a little on the smaller scale. We only planted 10 rows of corn, 3 rows of green beans and a few tomato plants.
We did our first picking of green beans yesterday. We did not get our usual 50 or 60 quarts.... :( only 21. But I always say better than nothing. Next year we will be doing a full scale garden, by then we will be out of a lot of our home grown food.
I did a food inventory this morning.
I have 47 quarts of tomatoes
31 1/2 pints of jelly
4 quarts of apple pie filling (started with 12)
13 pints of pickle spears
12 quarts of potatoes and carrots (for soups)
8 pints of tomato sauce
and 10 quarts of hambuger pickles (some where in the house... lol)
I'm sure I have forgotten some stuff :/

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe it's because it has been so cold that the beans aren't producing as well. Have you all gotten a ripe tomato yet? I can't tell if I'm just being impatient or what, but it seems I should have had more tomatoes by now (just have little ones so far.)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dew, you and Monty canned a grocery store's worth last year. Y'all had a huge garden and it produced well for you. You said you haven't had a lot of time this year, so it was a good thing that ya'll stocked up last year!

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Maybe it's because it has been so cold that the beans aren't producing as well. Have you all gotten a ripe tomato yet? I can't tell if I'm just being impatient or what, but it seems I should have had more tomatoes by now (just have little ones so far.)

No ripe tomatoes yet here either journey11. Our corn is really low on the stalk this year too. Makes easy picking for coons. :/
baymule we did can up a lot of stuff last year. :D glad we did. Only thing is, I can only find 4 quarts of MontyJ's pickles... I still have plenty of sweet pickles though :D

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
here is what we canned up the other day. It will be time to pick again in no time. DSC01887.JPG DSC01890.JPG DSC01893.JPG

Attachments

• DSC01895.JPG
    DSC01895.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 158

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just saw a piece on TV that said tomatoes are about a month behind in ripening this year. There was some confusing advice at the end to pull up the plant and hang it in the garage, but it didn't say if this was supposed to happen now or in case of frost threat. Can you see all your tomato plants hanging upside down in your garage? Ha!

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Dew, were you able to get the garlic going that i sent you last year?

I don't know if MontyJ was able to or not chickies I will ask and let you know.

The beans look pretty right now, but we do have some rust on a few of the plants. Hope it doesnt spread.

so lucky, I know what you mean about the tomatoes. I have some on the plants, but they are small and are taking forever to ripen. But that's ok by me I love fried green tomatoes!!!!! Got to see if there are any big enough for frying. :D

Latest posts