3am call From Alarm Company

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
3am this morning I got a call from my alarm company that alarm at work was going off should they call police. After the break in last year, police said they would be back. The thief was in and out in minutes, made off with large sum of cash. I got to kennel before police, I was armed with a can of mace. In parking lot alone 3am I lost my nerve, and was afraid to go in. I waited for police, front door was locked, keypad right inside door said motion detected. With police I went over whole place and found nothing wrong. I am wondering if parrots set off motion detector. Of course when I got back home there was no way I was falling back asleep. Looking into hand gun permit today.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you haven't done it already, take lessons on how to handle the gun safely and target practice on a regular basis. Get comfortable handling it. Otherwise it is more of a danger to you than anyone else. Also, if you are not willing to use it, don't get one. There are enough on the streets already without someone taking yours away from you.

I'm not anti-gun, I'm anti people being irresponsible with guns. I like my 12 gauge. There is just something about the sound of the pump action. But I'm in th ecountry and you a re in the city.

My anti-responsible story. My brother in law traveled a lot so his wife got a handgun and took lessons. On one move to Bahrain, when their shipment cleared customs they found the handgun in a box. They had forgotten they had the gun let alone where it was. It cost a huge fine to get out of that one, plus the gun was confiscated. It turns out it's not all that unusual for people to forget where they put the gun.

There is nothing in that kennel worth dying for, at least from my perspective. But it certainly goes against the grain to let thieves get away with it. It's a personal decision, I can't fault you for your actions at all.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm glad you decided not to go in and wait for the police. Your safety should be your main concern. Your business and items in there are replaceable. You are not.

Mary

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good point would I really be able to shoot a person? Easy to say I need a gun for protection, but when it comes down to it can I really fire at a person? Has anyone here fired a gun at someone? What would it take for you to shoot at another person?

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can not even shoot a rabbit, so no I cold not shoot at a person. DH has a permit to carry and it makes me very nervous. I have a 12 gauge but only shoot cans and targets. My fear would be they also have a gun and even if I shoot wide to scare them would that not trigger a response from them to shoot at me. Wait for the police and stay back!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Although I was in the army many decades back I've never shot at anyone or been shot at, luckily. Could I? I don't know, I've never been in that situation so I don't really know how I'd react. I think, in the right circumstances I could. The right circumstances would be to protect a human life. Yeah, take a life to save a life. Some lives are more valuable to me.

Law enforcement officers are taught not to fire warning shots and don't shoot to wound. If you are going to shoot, shoot to kill. Either you are serious about it or you are not. It's not a game.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
My father served during Korean war. As a little kid I asked him if he ever killed someone during the war. His answer was I don't want to talk about it, don't ever ask me again. I took that as a yes, never asked again.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
motion sensors, are good....BUT
if a spider/cockroach or moth/fly that either crawl on the len or fly externally close to the sensor it will trigger it .

will use a adt/tyco motion sensor as an example. inside the cover there is a multi faceted metal plate that reflects, it take a minimum 3 of those facets for it to be triggered, does not matter if it's 0" or 25' ... have tried to beat our motions sensors at the longest range and never have been able to beat it...

might think about installing door and window contacts and install lighting around the perimeter of the building. with a hd weather proof camera system of the outside and hd cameras inside that have a microphone built in, with a back up dvr in a hidden place just in case the steal the in your office or home...

one thing about a concealed weapon.. are you willing to shoot another person????? and shoot to kill ?????? if you don't kill them they might be able to shoot back!!!
you don't bring pepper spray to a gun fight...!!!!!! is your life worth stepping into our business over a couple hundred dollars in the middle of the night...???

will say this..... locks are for honest people, my glock are for the rest...

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
A client told me all though out their house are wooden boxes. Each holds a handgun and a$1,000 cash. When he asked if I knew what cash was for, I replied you offer it for thief to go away. He said no after I shoot the person I throw the money around him, so there is no mistake about caching him in middle of robbery.

Latest posts