4 O'Clocks

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lost seed given by my mother. Bought a NK packet of seeds, multi colored. Got white, yellow, lavender, and a deep red. Tonight I looked them up on Internet. Didn't realize they were a perennial in the south. Said I could dig the tubers up and store in sand. Will try.
Does anyone use them as a perennial?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
My neighbor next door has them all over her backyard. They multiply really well. She just digs up any that she doesn't want. They come back every year and she just leaves them in place, no digging them up.

Mary

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
New seedlings or from tubers? Here, tubers freeze.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
They can become a pest. They form tubers as big as potatoes and come back year after year. They seed and little ones pop up everywhere. I like them, have had them before, but won't plant them here. I don't want to go around pulling them up. What if you pack them in sand, keep in a place where they won't freeze and replant in the spring?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted them two years ago, then expected them to come up from reseeding the next year. They didn't, but came up this year. I hardly see any seeds at all this year though. I may have to try digging around where they are. I never knew they made tubers.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
My mom said they multiply like crazy, coming back from seed. But you could dig a couple and store if you wanted to be on the safe side. Or you could buy another pack next year if they don't reseed, to spare yourself the the trouble of storing. :p

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Why pay another $2 when I have seeds in garden-if I gather them. Not sure seeds will over winter well up here. I think that is how I lost them the first time. If tubers make it, then I will know what Imhave and assume flower sooner.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
A few years back I saved only the seeds from the pink flowers. I don't know if a person can buy single colors seeds, and I wanted only pink. When they finally came up, they were pink, if anyone wonders.

Latest posts