A very lost little chicken.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We have some new chickens in the flock at this time. They're about 9 weeks old now. Momma has taken very good care of them until just the past week when she has left them for a few hours each day to browse in the garden and field with her buddies. The chickies have been content to stay in the chicken run and take a nap at that time. All except one! Our little black and grey chick likes to wander off into the woods instead of taking a nap with her siblings. We have had stormy weather for two days now and the little chick has been lost in the woods since yesterday around 10 AM. We have had several windy, lightening filled down pours over night and I'm sure the little one is soaked and homesick (or eaten) by now.

Just thought I'd share. :)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fingers crossed that she comes walking back home... A nap would have been a much better option!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If she was in the woods chances are something has already made a meal of her, sorry to say. You never know though; if she was that adventurous she may have good instincts about hiding from predators. She may still turn up.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a wild chicken, though not a chick. I have given up catching her and returning her to the chicken coop. She hangs out with the horses and eats the grain they spill. She gets all excited when I come out to feed them. I don't know how she has lasted so long-5 months I think. I have walked right by her as she falls silent and hides from me back when I was trying to catch her. I'm guessing she is smarter than the average chicken with coyotes, hawks, raccoons and fisher cats in the neighborhood. She hates the roosters.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hoodat is probably right, but that does mean there is at least a chance the little one is still alright, slim as it may be.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well she made it through the night. Storm and all. She was pacing back and forth in the woods at dawn yesterday morning. A little muddy and soaked to the bone. I couldn't catch her but I left a trail of oyster crackers (that's all I had at the moment) for her to follow and sure enough she was waiting outside the chicken run about an hour later. Stupid chicken!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
:ya

Sure glad your little Chicken made it alright. Maybe not so stupid. Survived alright. That counts for something.

Latest posts