A very lost little chicken.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
:celebrate
Oh I'm so happy she made it home.
I have been known to spend an entire afternoon very carefully cutting down a tree in order to get a kitten safely to the ground. :hide

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The storms may have kept the predators holed up and allowed her to make it through the night. Great news regardless!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't believe such a young bird made it home! Yay.
Smiles said:
Well she made it through the night. Storm and all. She was pacing back and forth in the woods at dawn yesterday morning. A little muddy and soaked to the bone. I couldn't catch her but I left a trail of oyster crackers (that's all I had at the moment) for her to follow and sure enough she was waiting outside the chicken run about an hour later. Stupid chicken!

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
After I started this thread I got to thinking about why I felt the need to tell you guys about the little lost chicken. I'm certainly no psychiatrist (ha!) but I'm thinking that maybe, just maybe, I felt some sort of connection to the new members of our barnyard.

As some of you already know I live on a very small farm in a very rural area. DW and I call it PlayStation and the Grands get a kick out of it. Farm animals are usually treated very differently than house pets that get pampered and get lots of attention. Our chickens have always been cared for by my wife and my kids and I really did not have anything to do with them. But over the years things change. Kids grow up and move away. DW is not able to get around much anymore. So I got the job of taking care of the chickens about 18 months ago. Once a day I check their food/water supply and toss some scratch out for them, make sure the gate to their run is open, collect eggs, and I'm finished with them until the next day. No emotions involved - just another job on a never ending list.

As my years advance I find myself taking more and longer breaks during the day and getting on the internet more than ever. I like to discuss gardens, animals, hunting, and fishing with internet "pen pals".

I think that I have formed a relationship with our new chickens like I have never before. I was more concerned about that tiny bird stuck out there in a thunderstorm all by it's self at 2:00 AM than I used to be (many years ago) about a cow stuck in the creek or a lost pig. I guess I'm an old softie after all.

Isn't it funny how our stations in life change?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, Smiles, those little feathered fowl grow on you.

This Thursday I sold about half of my chickens, mostly the ones that were already laying. One four year old old leghorn, Bloody Mary (another story) got out during the loading. That wasn't a problem as I was planning to keep her anyway, but come nightfall she was no where to be seen. Didn't go back to the coop. Didn't hide in the garden shed.

I searched the woods, orchard, etc. well into dark calling, "Cluck cluck, cluck!" which is chicken code for "Here I am with food!" and feeling like a fool. Don't know where she spent her time, but DH found her prancing into the garden shed a day later to lay her egg.

I fear she's not very happy with me for selling her sisters and cooping her up with the two layers and the four month old chicks that I kept.

Latest posts