Adventures in Soil Blocking

GottaGo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've been busy busy busy, between soil blocking more basil, just the Italian Large Leaf at the moment for the produce stand, and starting the Bush green beans, squash, zukes, cantaloupes and watermelons for the home garden, I just don't have many moments to myself. The seeds started in the 2" blocks have taken off like mad, EXCEPT for, again, parsley and sage. I don't have a clue what I'm doing wrong but it galls me that in order to have a supply I'm going to have to *gasp* buy some?

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've been busy busy busy, between soil blocking more basil, just the Italian Large Leaf at the moment for the produce stand, and starting the Bush green beans, squash, zukes, cantaloupes and watermelons for the home garden, I just don't have many moments to myself. The seeds started in the 2" blocks have taken off like mad, EXCEPT for, again, parsley and sage. I don't have a clue what I'm doing wrong but it galls me that in order to have a supply I'm going to have to *gasp* buy some?
April is kind of nuts with seed starting, planting out, weeding, and many other garden tasks. Fun, but exhausting. There are just not enough hours in the day! Today I planted out almost 200 blocks with bush and pole beans that were ready to take off. We just had many days of rain so I didn't even water them in; I figured they would be warmer overnight with just dry soil on top. If this works it will be amazing, and it the weather turns cold and wet it could be a bust. Two weeks should tell the story.

I wonder if you can start parsley on vermiculite. May have to give that a try. This is what I have in my notes regarding starting parsley:
Soak seeds overnight in very warm water (110F) and then place on moist paper towel in an airtight container, and plant when the radicals emerge (5 days or thereabouts). Then sow indoors ½ “deep in mid-February to mid-March; germination is 12-28 days, so be patient. Plant out or move to tall cell packs outdoors when very small (no more than 4 pairs of leaves) as they will quickly form a taproot. It is important that spring seedlings never experience temperatures at or near freezing, or they will think that they have gone through winter and will bolt by July. Sow outdoors 1 ½ “ deep mid-April through late August.

Attachments

• IMG_20240430_142716291.jpg
    IMG_20240430_142716291.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 6

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
... The seeds started in the 2" blocks have taken off like mad, EXCEPT for, again, parsley and sage. I don't have a clue what I'm doing wrong

perhaps the pH is too low for the starter mix?

but it galls me that in order to have a supply I'm going to have to *gasp* buy some?

have you tried different varieties of parsley?

Latest posts