Any unconventional insomnia remedies

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So I have always been a bad sleeper, but since Monday I have not been able to get more than 4-5 hours of sleep a night. Needless to say, I'm the walking dead right now. :\ I've done all the usual stuff (meditation, yoga, benadryl, melatonin). Anyone have something unusual that they've done that really works?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Curly_kate, do you have difficulty falling asleep, or staying asleep?
If it is falling asleep, you could try some valerian, especially if you can find some capsules that have passion flower in with the valerian.
Also, if your problem is falling asleep, try reading something dull in bed. Even reading something kind of interesting, I often wake up in the morning in the same position I was in while reading, light still on, book open on my chest. I think the act of getting up to turn the light off, and put the book down is enough to get you woke up again.
I know how lack of sleep can make you feel. Hope you find something that works.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hard exercise? Like, all day sweat inducing drop dead exhausting. Sometimes that gets my adrenaline going so much that i don't sleep THAT night, but the one after that is usually good!

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hmm... who do I remember talking about her insomnia problems?

@catjac1975 might be able to help. :)

I can't give much, if any, advice but - maybe drinking a cup or two of chamomile tea before bed? Or maybe a herbal pillow with some chamomile in it?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Curly Kate- This is exactly what happens to me every so often. It usually can go for 3 or more nights at a time. You would think that gardening until you drop would solve that problem. I have no cure I merely manage it. I have slept through the night 3 times this month which is a huge accomplishment for me. You may already know all of the rules-restrict caffeine after 12-2. And restrict caffeine in general.I had a great sleep one night after a large glass of grape juice. I am going to try that again and see if it was an anomaly. When desperate a glass if wine will get me a few hours. It always feels as if it a metabolic thing to me. Doctors only know drugs so have been no help. My sister has had great relief with acupuncture. There are lots of herbs like melatonin but for me the lose their effectiveness. I can get 4 hours on my own. Besides I am hung over from herbs the next day. No good when I am babysitting my Grandsons. I get out of bed so as not to wake up my husband and watch TV. Anything with a droning voice, science, history. I turn the sound on low and it usually gets me back to sleep though in just bits and pieces. This is against all of the sleeping rules, but for me just lying there for hours is torture. Also I can't read, that just keeps me up. Good luck-it can be managed.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have you ever been checked for sleep apnea? I thought, NO WAY when it was suggested I get checked out. Well.... guess who has a CPAP now. I hated it at 1st. Just did not like the idea of course. But most nights I sleep like a log. If I wake up I am able to fall back to sleep much quicker than before.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
4 to 5 hours of sleep would be a dream for me. I have been going to a Dr who deals n sleep problems for over 15 years. Have been to almost every sleep clinc on east coast. Treatment has came a long way. I have 4 diffent disorders, I never go into deep sleep. Talk to your Dr.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have had the test and was given the machine even though the Dr. said it was mild and did not think it would help. I gave it a good try and found it did not help. In fact it just added to the list of things that wake me up. If I can make it until 4 am I am OK with a few short snoozes until morning. I never go to bed early. I used to think that would be the answer. Then I just woke up at 2 AM. It is very lonely at 2AM when the world is sleeping. Try teaching 120 12 year olds after a few night like that! That is the best part of retirement-not worrying about facing teaching after a few bad nights.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
4 to 5 hours of sleep would be a dream for me. I have been going to a Dr who deals n sleep problems for over 15 years. Have been to almost every sleep clinc on east coast. Treatment has came a long way. I have 4 diffent disorders, I never go into deep sleep. Talk to your Dr.
Do you have meds?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree with so lucky- Valerian rules! I wouldn't dream of trying to go to sleep, without it. I take 3 valerian and I melotonin, and 2 benedryl. This really works for me. I can't remember my last sleepless night. ( I am knocking on wood, while typing that!) Good luck!

Latest posts