Anyone Grow Mushrooms ?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last night I went to home depot, they had mushroom kits. The label on box said just soak in water 10 days later you will have mushrooms. No where on the box did it say what kind of mushroom so I passed. Has anyone tried these kits and where happy?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy, I haven't tried the kits because all the ones I've seen were around $20-30. Too much for me. I hate it when Home Depot sells blueberries and doesn't have the name/type on them.

Mary

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
we tried doing the mushroom kit many years ago for as much as the kits go for it's cheaper to drive over to the supermarket. we only tried the button mushroom kit, it might have been not the right conditions growing under the house, but all in all it was fun to try a hand at growing them..
it would be fun to find a underground mushroom farm and take a tour, think theres one in pennsylvania..

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have grown a kit of mushrooms. That's all just once.

It isn't that I'm fickle, altho others may be wondering since my behavior must be borderline ;). I just recognize some of my limitations. One is, "outta sight, outta mind." Keeping a box in the basement was risky.

I didn't actually lose any but I was always a little late with the frequent harvest needed. Usually, I'm down in my basement only 2 or 3 times a month. I got the idea that I should be checking those mushrooms about every other day once they begin showing up.

If you have a good place for them with nearby and regular traffic, NyBoy, they could be fun. Maybe not a savings but fun to have right there, on hand.

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
well, not deliberately. but they sprout up on the sides of our property here. i think the ones growing around my yard last August are what they call 'Fried Chicken' mushrooms.

i've wanted to do some of those button mushroom kits but like the portabella's more but those are hard to come by for home kits. they always seem to run at $30-$40 a kit.

the kit you found is probably an oyster mushroom. took a look at your link and those are definitely oyster mushrooms.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I really am not a fan of mushrooms, but I am always interested in those kits. I guess I like growing, just about anything- even if I don't want to eat it!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, I like mushrooms!

We had quite a few oyster mushrooms last summer. I was pleased that they were much better fresh than the canned. Fresh buttons are still a favorite and did you know .... Agaricus bisporus is the same species for Portobellos? (better only mention parenthetically that they are native on American grasslands, Wikipedia says)

DW asks me to make a marinade every time she brings the big Portobello guys home :).

Steve

Latest posts