Artificial Turf

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am almost afraid of posting this. I don't fear others opinions, I just don't want anyone coming down very hard on me for mine. So here goes.

After much deliberation, we are thinking of getting artificial grass for our front lawn. :hideWith our drought conditions, it takes a lot of water to water our front lawn which is small at approximately 200 sq. feet. I prefer to use this water for my garden in the backyard. In addition my husband weekly cuts and edges the grass. He also trims the hedges on either side of the lot. I have done the math and the artificial grass would cost us about $25 a month over a 10 yr. period. When I think of the water savings and my husbands time and labor, it seems like a good deal to me.

We've driven around and seen homes and have talked to a homeowner who has it. The stuff nowadays looks pretty real. Visually the lawn would always look pefect and would add a lot of curb appeal to our home. This is important for my business since first impressions have an affect. I have considered drought tolerant planting but I know it would not always look great year round.

I've done as much research as I can on the pros and cons. I've checked reviews on the two companies we are considering. Now I need my gardening friends here to give me their opinions in case I've missed something.

What do you guys think?

Mary

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Water in California is so scarce; that has to be an important factor in your choice. The only artificial turf I have ever seen is the old stuff that looks like indoor-outdoor carpeting. I'm sure there have been lots of improvements, so if you say it looks real, it probably does!
What you are suggesting sounds like a good choice for you. I say go for it, and put your time and energy into the flowers and veggies!

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Talk to a realtor see what they say for it in your area. Or drive around and see what others are doing? I would want to be sure it is worth the investment in the long run.

If it works for you and your happy then I'm happy for you. That's really what matters.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
1). If u like it, do it. Although I love looks of drought tolerant plants instead of grass. That's from someone with over an acre of grass.
2). From Indiana, it seems like a very smart choice to conserve resources.
3). Do you have to vacuum it? :)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good suggestion Jared. We have noticed that more people are replacing their lawns with it. We've driven around and saw about 10.

seedcorn, you can rake leaves off it, hose it, etc.

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
WHAT???!!!! Mary Mary Mary! What in the world is wrong with you?? :barnie

Is that the reaction you were worried about?

Haha! You know I'm kidding! (you DO know I'm kidding right?)

Actually I think it's a smart move! The new artificial turfs look very real. I have a very good friend in San Diego that is in the same business as you, with about 12 full time kids, and she put it in about 4 or 5 years ago. She loves it. Her issue was all the kid traffic in the backyard wouldn't allow real grass to grow and she was constantly battling bare spots.

I saw it when we were down there a few weeks ago and it still looks fantastic. They use the blower every day to tidy it up as it's under a huge ash tree and gets a lot of stuff dropped on it.
It does get hot in the summer sun, but she lets the kids have water play when it gets really warm and there's no mud issues.

I say if you like it- do it. It seems like it will solve a few problems for you.

And just think of all the time your husband will have now to do honey-dos. :D

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Haha Thistle, yes that is the response I expected, especially from you! Just kidding. It does get hot but since it will be in the front lawn it won't be a problem. Because that lawn is only ornamental, I can go with the cheaper one. They have advised that if dogs or kids played in it or I had parties on it that I would need the higher grade stuff. There is a maple to the side of it so we will have to rake in the fall to get those leaves for the compost. :) My husband is hedging because of the cost but I want to do this for him so I think I'll win. ;) I'll let you know.

P.s. Actually there is only one contrary person on here who I thought would say something in an unfriendly way. Ha! Now I have all of you scratching your heads. :D

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Haha Thistle, yes that is the response I expected, especially from you! Just kidding. It does get hot but since it will be in the front lawn it won't be a problem. Because that lawn is only ornamental, I can go with the cheaper one. They have advised that if dogs or kids played in it or I had parties on it that I would need the higher grade stuff. There is a maple to the side of it so we will have to rake in the fall to get those leaves for the compost. :) My husband is hedging because of the cost but I want to do this for him so I think I'll win. ;) I'll let you know.

P.s. Actually there is only one contrary person on here who I thought would say something in an unfriendly way. Ha! Now I have all of you scratching your heads. :D

Mary

Well I feel much better now, knowing I'M not the contrary person!

Just don't ever tell me if you put that shredded rubber crap in your flowerbeds.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
By the way Thistle, I had mispelled the word turf in the title but I remembered you saying to go to your posts and then do something there to correct it. Guess what? I did it! Just don't ask me how. :hu I just kept hitting everything. :p

Mary

Latest posts