BAAAAAAAAADDDD Tomato Year in 2016

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Anybody else sitting on their hands for their green tomatoes to turn?!?!?!? :he
Even my volunteers haven't been producing this year. One or two red tomatoes, here and there, no avalanche like I always get by the end of August every year.
We have had hot, muggy and very rainy weather. Is it just me, or has anybody else experienced that this year?

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Same here, last year we had vine ripened tomatoes the beginning of July, in fact we were giving them away. This year the only ripe tomatoes we've had so far are one lone Indigo Rose cherry and a cluster of Yellow Pear cherries. The big guys are still green. Cool wet spring, turning warm to hot and back to cool in June. July was cool and wet for the most part. Getting some heat in August so maybe we'll get ripe tomatoes sometime in September, that is if we don't get a killing frost. It's been a very unusual growing season this year.

Annette

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Why wait this came today :drool
DSCF0802.JPG

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had a little luck bringing in some tomatoes at their whitish stage, not completely green, but not red yet. They ripened inside. I brought them in because they got knocked off the plant by the wind. Go figure.
I have about half a dozen ripe tomatoes sitting on my counter, and then that's it for the season. Those were ripe enough to bring in after the plants drowned. Never before have I been out of tomatoes by the first of September. Usually I have to bring in some green ones just ahead of the first frost.
Other gardeners around here have complained about tomatoes not ripening this year, as well, so it is widespread, what ever the phenomena is.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I won't..... They came on later than normal but we are throwing rotten ones away as we can't pick them fast enough. Late year but a good year.

NyBoy. Curious what they look like and more curious as to taste. Report back.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Must be a grape tomato very small. If you like crunchy pickles and olives you will like. I had them years ago but much bigger tomato. Anyone who makes their own pickles should make a few jars

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
First tomatoes had problems. I've done a little research.

Catfacing - cause is likely to be cold temperatures during flowering and fruit development.

Yellow Shoulders - cause is likely to be intense heat during fruit development.

There we have late spring and early summer .. :confused:. Fortunately, the plants continued to grow and set fruit. Later fruits are plentiful and more likely to be normal.

Steve

Latest posts