BAYMULE FINALLY HAS SHEEP!!!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have wanted sheep for 5 years, but we lived on a small city lot. Not happening. As many of you know, we moved in February to 8 acres and have been a whirlwind of activity since. 16 days ago, a post appeared on Craigslist for Dorper/Katahdin ewes, bred to a registered Katahdin ram. I didn't call. They were reposted. I didn't call. They were reposted again. Only 4 of them. I called.

Today we went and got them. As we rounded the corner and saw this beautiful ranch appear before us, my husband said, "Those sheep are going to be so pi$$ed at us! Look at this place, and we're going to take them to our little place?" White pipe fence, brick columns, concrete driveway taking us past 2 spacious brick homes, large barns, pasture, a lake that meandered behind the houses and the barns, picture perfect place. The lady was so nice and helpful. Great Pyrenees everywhere, she raises registered dogs, high quality animals. They were on guard, but friendly to us. Beautiful place, beautiful animals.

We got our girls home and unloaded. Three are 11 months old. One has lambed once. They are all bred. They are all wary of us and stay well away from us. Of course we think they are beautiful. :love I tried to get pictures, but couldn't get very close. I walked Paris, our Great Pyrenees, on a leash in the sheep pasture. She has never seen a sheep, she was very interested in them, but not in a predatory way. She sniffed sheep poop, footprints and i could tell she really wanted to get close to them. I could get closer to them with Paris than I could by myself. Tonight I put Paris back in the yard. Tomorrow i will let Paris loose after walking her around some more. If all goes well, Paris will go live with the sheep.

This feels like a dream come true.

IMG2772.jpg

IMG2769.jpg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been sitting here, stumped for the last name. Our son-in-law suggested Pun names and he got busy. So we have Lady Baa Baa, Miranda LAMBert (we live in her home town) and DH came up with Sheepalicious. I needed one more name.......then my brain popped.....Ewe-nique.

Then they will have their lambs and we will start all over again. :gig

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Congrats. So what are they good for? Glad you have them--& not me. :)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Love lamb. Nobody but me eats it. So I just buy it when I get in mood or eat out.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
WOW! I am so happy for you. This move is getting better and better for you and your many plans. I must be a really old lady, because I find myself with seedcorn here -- better you than me.

I guess I have more than enough on my plate right now that any new yard pet would be one too many.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sheeple envy!!!! :love Good looking ewes from what I can see at this distance....a few of them look like they have some painted desert blood somewhere along the lines.

Congrats!!!! NOW you've got some great livestock. You know what I love about sheep? Sheep will follow the shepherd but they don't like to be pushed or driven. ;)

Hope Paris falls in love with her new flock. Jake LOVED his sheep...played tag with one another every evening before sundown.

Last edited:

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
I welcome ewe to the wonderful world of baa-utiful sheep!

Latest posts