Bed Bugs

Durgan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
A friend's wife works in a local chain motel. It was told to me that bed bugs are a constant hassle. It is necessqry to be constantly decontaminating the rooms. No hotel room is immune from the most luxurious to the least so. New York is seriously infested as are most major cities in North America. To eliminate from a home can be an expensive procedure and often not wholly effective. I suggest the use of diatomaceous earth as a precaution. It is reaily available from Seed and Feed Farm Stores. It must be food grade, not pool grade to be effective.

http://extension.entm.purdue.edu/publichealth/insects/bedbug.html
Bed bugs typically are active at night and hide during the daytime. Being very flat, they are able to find a wide variety of places in which to hide. Typical hiding places include beneath loose flooring, behind loose wallpaper, inside box springs, in mattresses, and in upholstered furniture. One common hiding place in hotel rooms is behind bed headboards that are fastened to the wall and another is behind moldings just above the floor. Bed bugs also hide behind electric switch plates and inside appliances. However, sites that have surfaces consisting of plaster, stone, and metal typically do not harbor bed bugs.

http://www.earthworkshealth.com/get-rid-of-bed-bugs.php DIATOMACEOUS EARTH FOR BED BUGS
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?FCWDO 6 January 2012 Garden Dust Sprayer.
Garden dust Sprayer was received today and test operated using diatomaceous earth. It is advertised for powders and liquids. My use is primarily for powders. The unit was tested for operation for about ten minutes and performed to expectations. It is well made and the powder jet worked well in all orientations. It will be used during the growing season on cabbages and brussels sprouts and various garden plants as determined. Coverage appears to be possible for all areas compared to the limited hand method of dispersal. This is the one purchased. http://www.durgan.org/URL/?WZUEN Earthway Spritzer Duster Sprayer

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do bedbugs travel from one location to another on peoples' clothing that they are wearing, or is it always in suitcases, etc?

Durgan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
so lucky said:
Do bedbugs travel from one location to another on peoples' clothing that they are wearing, or is it always in suitcases, etc?
We had bed bugs in our old homestead log house and simply used coal oil wiped on the bed surfaces to remove them. Also, we didn't have the stuffed furniture or elaborate bed mattresses now available. Listening to the radio with people describing an infestation, it appears to be a nightmare. I suspect the bugs are simply carried into new areas by clothing, suitcases etc. They were practically annihilated by DDT, which is no longer available so one must devise other methods. I suspect many people have bed bugs and are not aware.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Durgan said:
I suspect many people have bed bugs and are not aware.
How could you know be aware? Don't they bite? Wouldn't that would leave spots on the skin and blood spots on the sheets? Ew-w-w!

Sometimes having a dull life is not a bad thing. I don't go visiting for bedbugs! No one comes visiting to bring them. And if the grand-babies ever dare. . . . .

Love, Smart Red

Durgan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
A post on another forum.

Semper

I have just recovered from a bedbug nightmare. They are nearly impossible to kill. Wash all clothes, linnens, towels, drapes- once a week while bug bombing the house with bedbug strength. They are tough little critters. Diatomaceous earth does NOT work on them.

Dont get them is #1. Look at all four corners of your mattress in every hotel you stay in. Look for brown stains and 'copenhagen specks' (digested blood pooped out from previous guests) IF YOU SEE ANY, DONT STAY!!! One egg brought home, and the eggs are like sticky grains of sand, and you are FUBAR!!!

Ivermectin is one new treatment. Take some before bed, bugs bite you 'n die. But it wont work on the hatching eggs

And they live for a year on one bite of blood. Killed in a dryer 30 min on high heat, for pillows, sleeping bags, etc.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I understand that I have had a bit of a hiatus from the forum, and didn't have many posts before...but what do bedbugs have to do with gardening??? Just saying.

Tony O

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
MontyJ said:
I understand that I have had a bit of a hiatus from the forum, and didn't have many posts before...but what do bedbugs have to do with gardening??? Just saying.
What? :ep bed bugs & gardening?

Well, I guess one could take a bed out under a shade tree by the garden to use for an after noon nap when working in the garden. If it stayed there for very long, I'm sure it would have some type of bugs in it sooner or later.
Maybe a different type, but still, bugs, none the less, in the bed would still be bed bugs. Right? Am I right??? :hide

Just sayin :cool:

Latest posts