1. Announcing the new awards/recognition feature - medals!
    Read MORE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

2. TEG Featured Thread: How do you preserve seeds for next year?
    Click HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

3. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

4. Caption Contest Submissions - Pictures Needed
    Click HERE!

Big fluffy yellow caterpillars

Discussion in 'Diseases & Pests' started by bills, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Aug 20, 2008
    bills

bills Deeply Rooted

Just the last two days I have noticed several of these showing up in my veggie, and flower gardens. They are a pale yellow, about 1-1/2" long, and very fuzzy.

I have never seen this kind before in my entire life, and was curious as to what moth, or butterfly may lay them. They are one of the fastest moving caterpillars I have ever seen. They can cover the ground about two feet a minute.:eek:

I haven't noticed any damage to speak of from them to plants, but time will tell. So far the ones I have spotted, I have cut in half, or fed to the fish.

Any clue's to what they might be?
  2. Aug 20, 2008
    Grow 4 Food

Grow 4 Food Garden Ornament

If they were at my house they would be chicken feed caterpillars.

:lol:
  3. Aug 20, 2008
    DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Deeply Rooted

Hey bills! I've noticed one too. Only difference is that I was describing it as a blonde caterpillar. They look like the ones that are typically orange and black striped and fuzzy, except they are all straw-colored.
  4. Aug 21, 2008
    bills

bills Deeply Rooted

I believe the blonde one you saw, was not it's natural hair color, but a dye job..:lol: Probably out looking for a sugar daddy...:lol:

I do see the odd orange and black fuzzy's around. Those I have seen since I was a kid, it's this yellow one that has my curiosity up. I did some google searching, and there were a few similar ones listed. It's definitely not the "Laugher", which has a black face, or a Dagger Moth caterpillar, as it doesn't have the black spike.

It looks just like this one.
    http://photo.xanga.com/Yoshiprongha/2927365300703/photo.html
  5. Aug 21, 2008
    DrakeMaiden

Possibly a Yellow Bear ? Or, er, should I say a bleach blonde looking for her wooly bear (the orange & black caterpillars)? :p

I think I did see the moth around earlier in the season and the range looks about right.
  6. Aug 21, 2008
    DrakeMaiden

This site has good photos of the color variations of the caterpillar.