Bird Sightings 2014 - 2015

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I thought I'd make a thread for TEG's birdwatchers to post their sightings on. You don't have to be a "birdwatcher" to post on the thread of course! (Hopefully some of our international members will post! ;))

Here are some picture that I got earlier today --

Ring-necked Duck, a rare visitor around these parts. They usually stay up around the Great Lakes. Three males with female (center). Spotted on 3/13/14 - near Mansfield, OH.
Bird Spottings 2014-2015 042.JPG

Some more Ring-necks. Four males and one female (right, center).
Bird Spottings 2014-2015 043.JPG

And... a Canada Goose. Nothing uncommon here. Spotted on 3/13/14 - near Mansfield, OH.

Bird Spottings 2014-2015 040.JPG

And a fuzzy picture of what I believe to be a Junco? of some sort. They look exactly like the House Sparrows but with a grey body and white belly. Spotted on 3/13/14 - near Mansfield, OH.
Bird Spottings 2014-2015 013.JPG

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is a beautiful shot of that goose, common or not. Your last birdie does look like a Dark-eyed Junco to me too.

Neat thread topic!

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ohboy, SeedO, what a can of worms you opened up for me, hahaha! I was just reading about how they're finding starving and dead ducks on the great lakes, they mentioned Chicago specifically. So you're probably getting some irruption south, like those ring neck ducks. Nice photos! And i'd say definitely a junco.

Have you used the ebird website from Cornell, seedo? I just started this year, and i'm loving it! I've never been much of a lister, so i forget what i saw and when i saw it. With this app, you can go back and look at your data - when EXACTLY did i see my first robin last year? And by looking at other nearby sightings entered you can find out where people are seeing cool birds! Plus it keeps track of how many species you've seen, and you can compare to other birders. :p

I'll start posting some pics here next week when my new camera comes, yipee!

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I haven't read about the starving ducks. That's pretty disappointing, we need to work on taking care of our waterways. Junco, at least I know what it is now. I was starting to think that it was an oddball House Sparrow until I saw others.

I have not tried the ebird website, but it sounds great! I'm supposing that it works on a PC? I'll take a look at it after we get back from running. :p (Now I miss the old stick-out tongue smiley...)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've seen a new bird in the backyard. The first time I spotted him out the window I thought he was a Robin, which btw I haven't seen any of yet, but with a closer look was obviously not. This morning I got out my book and identified him as a Varied Thrush. I heard his song yesterday morning while I was outside. He has a very simple unique song. I hope he sticks around!
This is what he looks like, the picture isn't mine, I got it from the Cornell site.
varied thrush.jpg

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've seen a new bird in the backyard. The first time I spotted him out the window I thought he was a Robin, which btw I haven't seen any of yet, but with a closer look was obviously not. This morning I got out my book and identified him as a Varied Thrush. I heard his song yesterday morning while I was outside. He has a very simple unique song. I hope he sticks around!
This is what he looks like, the picture isn't mine, I got it from the Cornell site.View attachment 1525

I've seen those, @thistlebloom !

It was in the coastal Redwoods, tho'. Maybe here as well but I would probably mistake most of them for Robins. Good eye - and ear!

How about the Townsend Solitaire? They are a thrush that are easier to separate from Robins. However, I can only be sure of seeing them a couple of times - out in your neck of the woods.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS' , that Townsends Solitaire is an elegant bird with a pretty song. Wish I could say I've seen it but I haven't, darn it.
Oh, and dh spotted a trio of Robins in the driveway when he pulled in this evening, but they're still avoiding me.

Latest posts