Bitter lettuce - for goodness sake!

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have been harvesting lettuce from volunteers that came up from last years crop, but I also planted a large bed of mixed lettuce earlier in the spring. Wouldn't you know, before we could even eat one single leaf of the beautiful baby greens they all went bitter and I had to tear the whole bed out! Very frustrating. I didn't realize that temperatures in the 70's are too warm for lettuce. What the heck?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe stress for more than one reason results in bitterness.

If it is heat, a Romaine stands up better to it without bolting than most varieties that I grow. Another lettuce family is the Summer Crisp. They are also called Batavian. I prefer those to the Romaines for tenderness & flavor.

I often wonder how gardeners can grow lettuce well in real desert conditions.

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
It just isn't fair. All winter, out of season for tomatoes, I have bodacious lettuce. Before the first tomato blooms, the lettuce bolts and goes bitter. :he Not fair!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I used to live in that so-called Mediterranean climate, I grew a lot of Blackseeded Simpson, not the most noteworthy lettuce maybe, but it seemed to hold off on the bitterness real well.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep, hate it when lettuce gets bitter. Olivia who's 3 told her mother that my lettuce tasted "funny". She said her's tasted sweet. Well her's hasn't started bolting yet.

Mary

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I know what you mean, Baymule. No chance of getting lettuce and tomatoes at the same time here either.

The new bed of lettuce wasn't even close to bolting - just three inches or so. We were taking care of our neighbors place for the past week and I tried her lettuce. It was already bitter too. At least her spinach was tasty! Lol

Latest posts