Buddleia davidii (Butterfly bush) hardiness

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have...well, HAD...two buddleia for a few years now and this is the first winter that they did not survive. They completely died back all the way to the ground and I had to cut them down. No sign of life all the way to ground level.

Do you think there is any hope that they'll come back from the roots? I am hesitant to plant something in their place until I know for sure. They were supposed to be hardy in my zone. :(

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I haven't had much luck with butterfly bush here but I think that's more because of my dry summers. I just didn't water it enough. But I did try it and it would normally come back from the roots when it died back. But it is slow coming back, later in spring than you would expect. I suggest patience. I think you'll see some sprouts.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would wait a little while. The one at my folks house looks dead still. It might yet come back.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have trouble with buddleia too and finally gave up because they're so marginal here. I agree with everyone else, they seem to be slow starters in the spring, so you will probably see some shoots in the next few weeks.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
We've really enjoyed all the butterflies that flock to ours, but unfortunately the cats have too. It probably didn't help them any that the cats had bent them down trying to get the butterflies. What kind of cat eats butterflies anyway? :barnie

And I wish I'd tried rooting some cuttings. I hear it is easy to do. One is a Black Knight. It was so beautiful.

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am in the triad of NC and My Budlea is the only thing that survived the winter and some of the plants are supposed to be Very hardy.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hardiness zones seem to be jumping around on the map this year. :\

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Buddleia are hardy in zone 5, although, they may die back to the ground in the winter without some protection. Yours should come back from the roots, so don't be too impatient. I've had them growing (and coming back) here in south-est, central-est Wisconsin for year.

Latest posts