Can Bees Be Self Sufficient?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I always thought bees where fascinating and wanted a hive. My yard in city is way to small, I have plenty of room at country house, but am only there a couple of days a month. I don't care about collecting honey. How much care to bees need ?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
The information I have seen indicates that they need attention and maintenance more often than twice a month. And in winter they may need feeding, if you do take the honey. I know very little about bees, and will be watching this thread with interest.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I missed this post. But bees take more care than one might suspect. (Time and expense.) DH started 2 hives last spring then added on over the summer. All 3 perished this winter. A VERY LONG and COLD winter. He even supplemented pollen patties and candy boards. I don't even want to think about how much money has been spent on this hobby. :confused: We just drove 5 hours to pick up 3 queens and 9 pounds of bees! Starting over. o_O A small yard really is O.K. unless you have neighbors that would freak out!

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't know much more than most people about keeping bees. Never expected that there would be a lot of money and time involved in bee keeping, makes me appreciate those small scale bee keepers that indirectly produce our honey more.

One thing that I do know about bee keeping, and it's kind of interesting - to produce a new queen bee, you stick one of those little maggot bee-baby things into a special cell in the hive, predictably called the queen's cell. That little bee-baby will turn into a female and develop into another queen. This is according to memory - I once considered bee keeping and read a very informative book about it (not the whole book). To be honest, I wasn't that interested in it at first and any interest that I did have in it disappeared fast, I only ended up reading a few pages. Bees don't have leaves are feathers, and poultry and plants don't sting.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I missed this post. But bees take more care than one might suspect. (Time and expense.) DH started 2 hives last spring then added on over the summer. All 3 perished this winter. A VERY LONG and COLD winter. He even supplemented pollen patties and candy boards. I don't even want to think about how much money has been spent on this hobby. :confused: We just drove 5 hours to pick up 3 queens and 9 pounds of bees! Starting over. o_O A small yard really is O.K. unless you have neighbors that would freak out!

Oh, that's a bummer, Carol. I am sorry to hear that.

My poor bees have been sadly neglected since I got pregnant with my second DD, 2 years old now. I've not done much for them other than wrap the hive for winter and feed occasionally. They have survived 3 years without much help from me. I credit the biodiversity of forage they have in this area though. That, and we have little to no ag chemicals being sprayed in this 6-mile radius. I really was pleased that they made it through this harsh winter. I hope to get more time to work them this summer, now that my dear MIL is finally retiring!!! :celebrate

Nyboy, another option is to get in contact with some local beekeepers and offer to work out an agreement so that he or she can put a couple of hives on your property. Most beeks will eventually have more bees than they know what to do with and I know several here that have more than a couple of locations for their apiaries. If you have an abundance of things that the bees can forage in the area and a nearby water source (even a small fountain will do), someone may be very happy to have you host their bees there and do all the work so you don't have to. Win-win!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, that's a bummer, Carol. I am sorry to hear that.

My poor bees have been sadly neglected since I got pregnant with my second DD, 2 years old now. I've not done much for them other than wrap the hive for winter and feed occasionally. They have survived 3 years without much help from me. I credit the biodiversity of forage they have in this area though. That, and we have little to no ag chemicals being sprayed in this 6-mile radius. I really was pleased that they made it through this harsh winter. I hope to get more time to work them this summer, now that my dear MIL is finally retiring!!! :celebrate

Nyboy, another option is to get in contact with some local beekeepers and offer to work out an agreement so that he or she can put a couple of hives on your property. Most beeks will eventually have more bees than they know what to do with and I know several here that have more than a couple of locations for their apiaries. If you have an abundance of things that the bees can forage in the area and a nearby water source (even a small fountain will do), someone may be very happy to have you host their bees there and do all the work so you don't have to. Win-win!
Great Idea Journey, I hope NYboy looks into that.

Latest posts