Cat issues

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Anyone have a bright idea as to how one can persuade 3 scragly ferral cats to NOT use one of my blueberry beds as a potty box ? Looks like a months' worth of uncleaned cat box even though I clean out the area wuite often ! How about NOT even in our back yard ? There are lots of cottonwoods along a ditch just beyond our back fence and mixed trees wood lot across the road. :caf

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Blueberry beds? Yes. The rest of the world in general? No.

I have found that scattering husks from my chestnut tree will stop pilfering coons, rabbits, even birds that try landing in the area. They work for keeping cats out of flowers as well. I'm sure they would do to keep cats from squatting atop the spiny husks.

As long as you wear shoes to harvest the berries, you would have no problem with the husks.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
2nd the mousetraps. If you are afraid of bleeding heart animal activists, then fork 'em.

Literally fork them. I had problems with a neighbor feeding feral cats and them crapping in my garden. So I got plastic forks and stuck them in the dirt, tines up. Kitties didn't like sticking their patooties trying to squat in my garden.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have pieces of chicken wire scattered around my beds and also cut to size for my pots. I like the green color one because it blends in better. It works.

Mary

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Bird netting secured to metal fence posts has kept everything out of mine.

Do you see the cats often? How about a sling shot, or are they considered a zoned weapon now days? My dad used them on rabbits when we were kids.