Cornbread & Beans

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am hoping for at least one pan of Seedcorn's Cornbread, with the Painted Mountain flour corn, and a bowl of Rattlesnake Bean Soup again this winter!

DSC00799.JPG

:p

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
That corn is absolutely beautiful! Please share directions on how you will make this wonderful cornbread!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is what I did a couple of years ago when I had this flour corn:

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=296232#p296232

I am sorry the Picasa pictures have vanished in that post. I went back a couple of months ago and edited the picture of the meal back in! Picasa changes the addresses! (The picture above is also in Picasa. I think they do pretty good with their images but I worry they may change the URL again :/.)

It is Seedcorn's recipe. He is going to tell me how to make bread dough without a mill next! I've got black-bearded wheat again this year ;).

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those are beautiful. Sure they'll taste as good as they look. :rainbow-sun

Is that a dent type of corn? The kernals look so glossy and round in your pic.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Painted Mountain does not look like a Dent Corn to me. It has the rounded full kernels of a Flint/Flour Corn.

http://www.seedweneed.com/

I can't find it saying what type it is, but it sure looks like flint/flour corn.

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I don't recognize dent from flint - but that is beautiful corn. I wish we had taste-a-vision & you could post how good that cornbread tasted.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dent Corn has usually big wide kernels, kind of oval/rectangle shaped, and each kernel has a crease indented down the middle of it.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, it is flour corn and if that is a "flint" then it dent be denied ;)!

We will have some Soldier beans tomorrow for lunch. I've gotta say that a "regular" dry bean variety is a lot easier to shell than a green bean or multi-use bean like that rattlesnake bean! I shelled just about that many more of those beans after I took the picture and my fingers are sore!!

Soldier beans are a little dangerous, too. Still, the whole shelling process must be about 4x as fast! The Rattlesnake beans sure made good soup the one time I used them, however. I tried to keep that in mind while I wrestled with those little guys . . .

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Flint type. Dent corn has just that, a huge "dent" in top of the kernel. Flint corn has a rounded top (think popcorn). Then you have the iodents that have small dimple on top. It's a cross between flint types and dents.

I prefer dents for corn meal to make corn bread as they are softer and sweeter. Flint corns give you that gritty texture. Especially if ground and not pre-soaked or batter allowed to sit for a while.

Latest posts