Could You have Survived 18 Century Life ?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last night I went to the country house. We had a very bad lighting storm and lost power. It was a hot humid night, i had plenty of candles. With no ac and many lite candles I started sweating badly. I lasted 2 hours before I got in car and drove back to city. Some how I don't think I would have lasted long back in the day!!!!!!!!!!! What about you?

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bet it would not have seemed so bad back in the day! After all we would not be accustomed to light at the flip of a switch and water and the turn of a faucet or AC to keep us cool. Big Sissy I am I like my AC on hot nights, sleeping is hard enough without being sweaty.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would have been there in spirit.

Pick your century. Prehistoric is fine.

It would have to be in spirit because I would have died soon after birth. See, the odds would have been against me surviving. I needed antibiotics soon after my arrival in the 20th century.

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would have done my darned-est to make do. Actually think I would have done rather well by myself, but with my DH we would have had a winner of an evening with plenty set by in case of a longer storm.

Remember, homes were build differently back in the day. Many homes had a kitchen apart from the house and porches for refuge on those hot, muggy nights. Would you have needed all those candles or would a few have sufficed? I have small oil lamps in each room rather than candles. They work well in black outs.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
My mother had a thing for oil lamps, once when a store had them on clearance she bought enough for herself and all the kids. I have 3 filled ones, question does the oil go bad ? Oil in my lamps must be about 15 years old.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I haven't purchase oil for my lamps in nigh onto 30 years. It doesn't seem to evaporate very quickly, it doesn't go bad, it just sits there waiting for an emergency.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy, it is not that they are all that much cooler, but they do tend to give off more light so fewer lamps are needed as compared to candles. I never found that it took all that many lights to enjoy a glass of wine, anyway.

With the storm, it should have been cooler outside under shelter -- wine is easily transportable -- so there's little excuse to run home unless you expected the power outage to be an extended one.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
No AC I could handle okay, even in our heat. No running water, nope, no hot running water H**L NO, hanging clothes on the line in winter, are you out of your ever loving mind?! Washing clothes by hand, washing in winter w/o heat and hot running water, where is the TARDIS I need to go home!!!!!!

Latest posts