CRISP pickle recipe!! For ya'll that are tired of soggy pickles!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mamma Wall's Spicy Sweet Pickles

My spicy sweet pickle recipe came from my great grandmother to my grandmother to me. I made 20 pints and 4 quarts this summer. I make it from memory, better write it down before I lose my mind LOL!

Start this process early in the morning so you will have time the next day to process the pickles.

5 gallon bucket of sliced cucumbers about 1/4" thick
cover with water, add 2 cups pickling lime
I put a plate over them to weigh the cukes down in the lime water
Soak for 24 hours, drain, then wash all lime off. ( I put the lime water on the compost pile)
Put cukes back in the bucket, cover with cold water with 4 cups of vinegar added.
Soak for 2 hours. Then drain.
You need 2 large pots with lids.
In each pot, add 8 cups apple cider vinegar and 10 cups sugar

In each pot, add 1 box or bottle of pickling spices. I use McCormicks-1.5 oz bottles in the spice section at the grocery store. (you can put them in a bag so the spices don't get on the cucumbers, but I never do because I like the spices in the jars of pickles)

Bring the ACV, sugar and spices to a simmering boil, add sliced cucumbers.

Simmer on medium-low heat until the cucumbers are translucent.

Pack in hot sterile jars, cover with syrup and seal.

The lime makes them crisp. They are so good, makes the best deviled eggs! I can eat 1/2 a jar by myself.

Using this recipe, I got 20 pints and 4 quarts.

7949_20_pints_pickles.jpg

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's just the kind of pickle recipe I've been looking for...those older recipes are so hard to find.

Forever grateful! :bow :D

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are welcome! I have made these since I was in highschool. (Looooong time ago) :lol: I also have a lime pickle recipe that tastes like cinnamon candy. My Grandmother made them.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I also have a lime pickle recipe that tastes like cinnamon candy.
GET THAT ONE UP HERE TOO BEFORE YOU FORGET IT ALSO!!!! :gig

I'm excited to try these recipes

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Jared77 said:
I also have a lime pickle recipe that tastes like cinnamon candy.
GET THAT ONE UP HERE TOO BEFORE YOU FORGET IT ALSO!!!! :gig

I'm excited to try these recipes

I have avoided making home made pickles b/c my gma's always turned out soggy, I'll give these a try though. If you wanted to use small whole cukes could you do that w/ this recipe too????

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
These must be the pickles my husbands Grandma made. He loved them. IF we are able to grow that many cukes ( a 5 gallon bucket is a lot!) I will be giving this recipe a try. THANK YOU :drool

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Let's see if I can reach in the back of my feeble mind to resurrect the fabled "Mock Spiced Apple Rings" recipe from my Grandmother. I haven't made them for several years, so ya'll bear with me.

First off, you use the cucumbers that hid under the leaves and got really big. Yeah, those, the ones that got away, they are big and seedy. You peel them, cut in chunks and then hollow them out. Scrape out all the seeds, then slice into 1/4" pieces.

Now I am trying to remember how many cucumbers to use in the recipe........ For some reason a gallon of sliced cukes is coming to mind.

Ok, now we have a gallon of peeled, cored, sliced cucumbers. Cover them with water and pour in one cup of pickling lime. Let them set 24 hours. Put a plate or something on top to weigh them down so all the slices are under the water/lime mix.

Pour off the lime water and rinse the cucumbers thoroughly. Soak for 2 hours in cold water and one cup of apple cider vinegar.

While the cucumbers are soaking, make a syrup of 5 cups apple cider vinegar, 6 cups sugar and one pound of red hots cinnamon candy. Add one small bottle of red food color and a half dozen cinnamon sticks. Rinse the cucumbers and add to the syrup. Simmer the cucumbers on low heat until they are translucent. Take out the cinnamon sticks and ladle the pickles into hot sterile jars. Pour the hot syrup over the pickles and seal the jars.

Put a jar in the refrigerator and pace the floor until they are cooled down. Eat the whole danged jar!

I know there is some discussion about water bath and pressure cooking on the forum. I have never water bathed or pressured any of my pickles. I pour boiling water in the jars and put the lids and rings in a pan and cover them with boiling water. I pour out the water, fill the jars, wipe the rim, and seal the jars. Then I listen to the musical pings as the jars seal. If for any reason one does not seal, it goes in the refrigerator to be eaten first.

Put a jar in the refrigerator and pace the floor until they are cooled down. Eat the whole danged jar!

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Have you done this with less sugar? I'm definitely trying this. Our family has already polished of 16 qts of pickles, but we do dills.

Do you have a savory pickle recipe?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have made the 1st recipe, Mamma Wall's Sweet Pickles, with equal parts ACV and sugar, and it was TART! I now make the syrup with 2 more cups of sugar than ACV and they are good. Sorry, this recipe really needs the sugar. After we eat the jar of pickles, I strain out the spices from the pickle juice, and DH drinks it for leg cramps. I drink it for sore throat or colds.

seedcrazy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I went and looked and even in my Bread & Butter pickle recipe (which I absolutely love, eat the peppers and onions too) it takes a lot of sugar for the amount you get (I think I got 6 pints though from my recipe)

Bread & Butter Pickles (Brenda Neals SIL)

4 quarts sliced medium sized cucumbers
6 medium white onions, sliced
2 green bell peppers, chopped
3 cloves garlic, peeled
1/3 cup salt
5 cups sugar
1 teaspoons turmeric
1 teaspoons celery seed
2 tablespoons mustard seed
3 cups vinegar, 5 percent acidity

Slice unpeeled cucumbers thin. Add sliced onions, peppers, and whole garlic cloves. Add salt and cover with ice. Mix well. Let stand for 3 hours. Drain well. Combine remaining ingredients and pour over cucumber mixture.

Bring just to a boil. Transfer to hot, sterilized 1-pint jars. Seal and process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes (20 minutes for 1,000 to 6,000 feet altitude). Adjust seals and store in a cool dark place for a few weeks before using.

Makes about 4 pints

Latest posts