Dangerous Grandma!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Remember a few months back when I talked about having my grand daughter at the playground and she broke her front tooth out?
Well, today I had my other son's daughter at the same playground, and she broke her same tooth off. Front right tooth. I am just sick about this. I told both dads I would pay the dental bill to have the tooth fixed for each girl. The first one hasn't done anything yet. She is not too self conscious about it. This latest one was really shaken up, but I don't think it broke up into the nerve area.
Funny thing is, this playground is supposed to be for all kids, with disabilities, etc, particularly safe. ACK!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh no, what did they hit their mouth on? It may be more the park's fault than yours.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
It was two different things. First one was a chair swing for disabled kids; she was pushing her sister and the back of the chair hit her in the mouth. The second one was trying to run up a slide that is made of rollers. Very slippery and unstable under foot. Of course, she shouldn't have been trying to run up it, but she is half monkey.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Running up the slide...that is how my daughter broke her front tooth! Ah, kids...

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
It happens. Don't feel so bad. Some kids just seem to be a little more daring and disaster prone. That stuff sure happens in a flash when you'd least expect it. I will be sure to make sure mine heed the warning then. But I bet you are also known as the fun grandma... ;)

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am so relieved that I am not the only one! My son knocked his front right tooth out last year, falling on a sippy cup. No more of those in my house!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
The oldest boy chipped off the points of both his front two permanent teeth at a vacation bible school, using some toy as a skateboard behind the teachers' backs. He did stuff like that. Monkey is not a bad comparison. The church insurance paid for that. The person in charge of that class was an elementary school teacher and a good one. Stuff happens.

We were visiting my parents and the second boy rolled out of bed while sleeping and broke his collarbone. He was probably six years old. We drove home the next day, about 11 hours, thinking he had just bruised something when we started out. When we got home he immediately went to childrens' hospital emergency room for a check-up. Talk about feeling bad putting him through that trip.

Three months later the third and last boy rolled out of bed while sleeping at a church weekend family camp where the women and younger kids slept in one building and the men in another. He broke his collarbone. Church activities were dangerous. This time we recognized it and immediately took him to the emergency room.

We went through one spell of broken collarbones and several cuts and bruises where they were going into childrens hospital for treatment so often that we were starting to worry we'd get investigated for abuse.

That stuff does happen in a flash. I don't think it does any good to try to raise kids in a protective cocoon. Even the most iconic kid's stuff like that sippy cup can be dangerous. Obviously you do the best you can to give them a protected environment but they do need some freedom to be kids. It's hard being a parent. Being a grandparent is easier because you have raised your kids and have that experience, but yeah you feel guilty when something happens.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
As a kid I think about once a year I ended up in ER. It is nice that you spend time taking your grandkids to the park. I have a lot of great memories of my grandfather taking my sister and I to the park.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
"It's time to go to Grandma's. Do you have your elbow pads? Knee pads? Helmet? Mouth guard?"
loudlaff[1].gif

Latest posts