Decorating with flair!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't! I can't! I need help! Please take pity on an old dinosaur and help bring her abode (dining room walls) into modern times.
room1.JPG

The dining room has been emptied out. Here are my walls. All off-white and in need of a miracle. The window faces due North so the room can be dark.
room2.JPG

The walls from another angle. The door goes into the kitchen. That has already been cleaned and repainted.
room3.JPG

Here are the curtain colors. Blue and (of course) white. They will stay so they will need to compliment whatever color(s) are used.

room4.JPG

Here is the carpet -- not bad for nearly 40 years old. It too is a keeper. Blue, beige, and white, it has survived so well because the living room and dining room are seldom used and the dog(s) are not allowed in those rooms.

room5.JPG

The living room has one huge wall of red brick. It is sort of open to the dining room so it could be a factor in the color of the dining room, but not necessarily.

Suggestions? HELP? Advice?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red, would you consider doing some sort of graphic stenciling on the wall(s)? @NwMtGardener did that in her old house on one wall, I believe it was a tree, looked gorgeous! That way your walls could stay light, but you could have an update that complements your colors and lifestyle.

But, I am no designer...

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
With a mural artist in the family? Of course I could have "some sort of graphic stenciling". DS already suggested something like that. Said I should check out his wife's art room upstairs.

I am not sure that idea would be "ME" and most certainly wouldn't be DH. Because the room is open to the living room, there isn't much wall space to paint. The window end, the mirror wall, the shorter wall leading into the kitchen and a huge archway with small walls at the sides make up the room.

The oak trim around the mirror is a Christmas gift from DS two years ago. It may not need to stay on that wall, but it will stay somewhere in the house.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would suggest installing crown molding , wainscoting, as well as a more substantial wood trim around the doors , windows and wall corners ( make it appear like heavy corner posts ) where they are next to the living room. Change out the chandalier to a modern one and for more light consider adding some additional ceiling lights or wall sconces. Use slightly tinged light color paint on the walls and stain on the wood , complementary colors of your choice . :)

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
How do you want the finished room to feel ? Warm and cozy or bright and airy. What style is your table and chairs ? You can change whole feel of room just by painting with color. Tell us what you are hoping for.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was about to say go bold with a dark color, maybe red... Then I saw the blue curtains. :p

I definitely second Bob on the bold trim and wainscoting, etc.

The buffet is lovely, btw.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oooh, that is a nice color, @NwMtGardener ! I think the 3rd one on the top row might work for those curtains?

With that palette, definitely replace the trim and paint it the cream color and consider doing the cream wainscoting. The furniture in the sample pic is a dark rich color like Red's too.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is the kitchen, already done (along with the half bath).
kitchen back wall.JPG

I need to find a ceiling light. Old one had burn marks and scorched ceiling in some places.
kitchen bulkhead and under cupboards.JPG

I used two colors in here. A big, scary move for me.

The living room is supposed to have beams hung on the cathedral ceiling from the brick wall to the north side of the room. Because the two rooms are open and adjacent, I don't think changing the color of the wood trim in the dining room would go well with the dark oak in the rest of the house.

Besides, making beautiful hardwood trim and then painting it is a pet peeve of mine. I do see the idea of bolder trim. I didn't plan on going that far to change things though and the trim we have was designed by DH with special ordered cutters for making it. The picture frame window trim does have a wide sill. Because the windows were built for 4-inch exterior walls they had to be extended to fit our 6-inch walls.

I do like the colors in @NwMtGardener's post (with the curtain blue). I've played around with the BEHR page of dining rooms and think those colors would work.

I have always considered the living room flowing into the dining room because of the open entry and same carpeting. Does one change the colors from one room to another when they are so open? I suppose I need a few more pictures with the living room, too. Just made it such a mess when clearing out the dining room, I hate to show it off right now.

Latest posts