Dumb Question

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
What is the correct way to use a hoe? For some reason I never used this most basic garden tool. Back problems are making it harder and harder to stay bent over to weed.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Which type of hoe?

First suggestion is to avoid choking up on hoe. There is a reason handle is long. Now if I could learn not to choke up......

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
My favorite hoe is the "hula hoe" or scuffle hoe. This hoe has two cutting surfaces on a pivot so it takes out weeds both pushing and pulling. Traditional hoes (and there are many different styles) will cut weeds on the pull. As @seedcorn says, stand up and let the hoe do the work. Put the cutting edge behind the weed and pull toward you.

I usually take the weeds from the top 1/2 inch or so below the soil level which will get all of the seedlings and open a rain-hardened surface. From time to time sharpen the hoe a bit and it will keep working well for years.

Weeds like dandelion will have the tops taken off, but the root will continue to grow back. With attention to hoeing regrowing root systems you can weaken the plant until it can no longer feed the root and they will eventually die.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am finding it best to just sit straight on the ground and use a hand tool. I keep changing tools and position and my back is pretty good. I do lay on ice every morning and night.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
With hoeing you basically want to use the hoe in a sweeping position, as if you were holding a broom. In other words don't hold the hoe in front of you and chop, hold it across your body and use more of a slide to cut the weeds.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
A sharp hoe will save you so much wasted energy! Get it sharpened with a knife-like edge, then all you have to do is lightly scrape the weeds off at the soil level. I used to hack at the ground with a dull hoe and turn up soil and really wear myself out until I figured this out. Now I don't even end up breaking the soil, just "slice" the weeds right off. It's awesome!! :D So much faster and easier on your back. (Of course, wear good shoes and spare your toes! LOL)

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
It seems like the hoe blade should be at a sharper angle to the handle in order to stand up straight and use it to slice the weeds off. And the handle should be longer..? I use the hoe like a chopping ax, unfortunately. Of course, the blade is not very sharp. I need to learn to use the grinding wheel "sharpener", I believe.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Agree hoe works better if kept sharp. Now if I would just do it.......

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can't wait 'til my kids get big enough to hoe weeds! I will not pay them though...you know, that little Red hen syndrome. ;)