Fake or real?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this was the subject of a thread last year, but it's a whole new season so I'm putting it out there again!

Do you put up a tree for Christmas, and if you do, is it fake or real?

And also, when do you take it down?

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this was the subject of a thread last year, but it's a whole new season so I'm putting it out there again!

Do you put up a tree for Christmas, and if you do, is it fake or real?

And also, when do you take it down?

I haven't put a tree up in several years. I live surrounded by living Christmas trees of all sizes. :)

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I drag my husband out every year and have him hacksaw me off some charlie brown tree from the woods. This year, for the first time ever, we did it legally by getting our $5 permit, woohoo! He grumbled about it for years, but i've gotten so pissed off at him for his humbug attitude that he now knows to keep his comments to himself! :lol:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
The past three years we haven't had a tree. The kids are grown and dh said he'd rather I just put up the nativity scenes, so I did and it was ok, but I do love a Christmas tree...
This year at his suggestion we got a tree. I think he's trying extra hard to make me happy. It was one that the loggers went through and thinned, so we just tossed it in the back of the truck. It's Charlie Brownish, but not bad actually. It sure smells good!

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We put up a fake one every year, deciduous dominate the forests around here. It gets put up on Thanksgiving and taken down New Years day. I'd say that our Christmas tree is sort of Charlie - Brownish. Half of the lights don't work and it has a couple of broken branches... :lol:

(Fun Fact: I was almost named Charlie my self, ALMOST. Many of my grandpa and great grandpas were Charlies. My last name is Brown. So.. if my parents wouldn't have decided otherwise... you would be talking to Charlie Brown right now. True story! :lol:)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Garbanzo's "kennel" takes up too . . . oh, what really has to happen is I have to move the Lazy-boy away from the window if we put up a tree. The Lazy-boy has to sit in a very precise spot in the living room and the tree has to be kind of narrow & tall.

I'm all for narrow & tall evergreens, I think they are more traditional looking but I get tired of that tree blocking my view of the outdoors and restricting me to, kind of, the center of the room. I'll miss the smell of evergreen but those alpine firs that we usually have to get (for that tall, narrow shape) smell kind of weird, anyway!

So, like with many things in life, it's easy to blame the dog.

Steve
'Seed', my Mom's family are the Golds. After my Grandmother married into the family, she was known as Goldie. In fact - everybody in the family has been known as Goldie by somebody or other! So . . . . ?

Last edited:

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So happy to have a REAL FULL-SIZE tree this year! I had been putting up a hand-me-down tree from my parents, and then getting little table top trees while we were in the trailer, so this year, I splurged on ones of those Frasier firs from our local nursery. So pretty & they smell so good!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got tired of paying $85 for a noble fir tree every year so 3 years ago I bought a fake tree at Costco. It was tall and narrow with over 1,000 lights which worked great. I had only put it up 3 years and this year some of the lights wouldn't work. Thank goodness for Costco's return policy. They took it back and got my money back. For the $300 that I paid I expect those darn lights to work for at least a few years. This year I borrowed my daughers 7' fake tree but my kids hate fake trees!

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We get real trees. I love how they smell and they are so pretty!!!! I try to leave mine up until after the new year. But sometimes it has to come down early. :( We use all white lights on our tree, this year I got some of those multi function lights and Monty put them on.... looks pretty cool