Fall clean up

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I guess it's about time to start putting my decorations away for the winter. I dont know about the rest of you but I'm a little disappointed in my flowers this year.... they did not do as well as they normally do in the summer. Oh well I guess there is always next year.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
The son of my BFF up the road cut down all her flowers for the winter. Silly man, he even cut her mums that were just beginning to flower.
I was shocked when I stopped there and saw that, at least in her yard, autumn had arrived along with the first signs of winter.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Red, you just said the "W" word! :hide

We're starting to get our first light frosts here, the first heavy one should be coming any time now.

I was slightly disappointed in some of my veggies this year. The tomatoes and peppers didn't do as well as expected, mostly due to late ripening. I have a few lemon drop peppers that or still hanging on, lot's of peppers, but not a single one is starting to turn yellow. I did get plenty of ghost peppers (plants from starts) which is unfortunate because I don't know what to do with something that hot! :rolleyes: The garden is mostly cleaned out by now, except for some dry corn stalks and surviving plants. The garden absolutely exploded with weeds this year, so I have a lot of those to get out yet. I'll be trying smother crops next year.

What little flowers that I had (mostly sunflowers) did great, they also did a great job of feeding those little House Sparrows that wreak havoc on the chicken scratch and blackberries. I did get a lot of daylilly bulbs from one of Ma's nice coworkers so should have them all over the place by next year, mixed varieties including some natural crosses.

harvest 2014 031.JPG

Just in case you didn't get many sunflowers this year. :)

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
The son of my BFF up the road cut down all her flowers for the winter. Silly man, he even cut her mums that were just beginning to flower.
I was shocked when I stopped there and saw that, at least in her yard, autumn had arrived along with the first signs of winter.
I dont do a fall clean up I tell my self I am leaving food for the birds

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I began today.

The few cucumbers in the little veggie garden had lost their leaves to the recent frost. I pulled the vines, dug out that little bed, threw in 3 buckets of compostables, several odd plants, the vines, and refilled.

Next will be the beans in that garden ...

Picked up 4 bales of peat moss for the dahlias. Soon, those 2 gardens will be bare ground - just the way the property owners are expecting. I won't see them again for many months ...

Steve

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We need to clean up the garden as well. MontyJ said he was just going to spray the weeds with weed killer and till later. I have to empty my baskets and put them away for the winter. I will probably wait until spring to do the island clean up..... except for the wheel barrow, I need to empty the container and put it away with the rest of my stuff.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The veggie garden is down to a few lone tomato plants, but the peppers are going like gangbusters. As much as I hate the coming w-&^%$, it feels good to clean things up.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I removed 1 morning glory there are 2 left and when they dry up they'll go. Petunias are gone 1 too many nights in the 40's did them in.

Daylily stalks are all pulled and composted. Otherwise we're not in bad shape here.

Latest posts