Farmer's Market Report - selling fresh cut herbs?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sharp intake of breath!!

Collusion, Mary!
cantlook.gif
Price setting!

Run that cut-throat vendor off, Kate ;).

Steve

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
She wasn't particularly friendly, so I think I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. Since I'm a newbie this year, I don't want to make any waves. :D Altho she did have some pretty cool arrangements she was selling. Maybe I could butter her up by buying something from her! But honestly, by the end of the day, I think I ended up selling about the same amount of plants as she did. There's also another vendor selling plants, but his are conventional varieties, so I don't consider him competition for me.

I'm already thinking about the things I want to do to make things better next week. Can't wait for Saturday!!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Curly-kate, I'm glad that you sold as much as she did. I personally buy from the people that are the friendlyist and have a good product. I'm willing to pay alittle more to support them. Glad you had fun and can't wait to hear how you do next week. Once you get established and people get to know you, things will pick up.

Mary

Steve, I was just trying to help! :hide

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh man! I completely forgot to go to opening day at the market. I wanted to say hello to you. I went to auction instead. Maybe next week. Isn't it kind of a long drive from MH for you?

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Smiles- we'll be there next week. We're the booth that sells coffee, along with the seedlings. It's about a half hour there for me, but it's the closest, best farmer's market in the area. There's one in Lawrenceburg, but it's more like a flea market at this point.

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was going to chime in but was late -- our farmers market is VERY busy & competitive -- I frequently see the same produce being sold at different vendors for the same price.. So, as a buyer, it comes down to whether they're organic vs non-organic or how a particular item/basket looks visually speaking. Occasionally you may find, Strawberries for example, that are being sold by one vendor for a little over the rest but which look WAY better and people may opt to pony up a little more for a higher quality item..

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So I've decided I'm going to log my thoughts here on the farmer's market so I'll be able to find it next year when I start planning! :D

Kind of a slow morning at the market today, but I got some good ideas. I have a couple of big ol' whiteboards that I think I might bring with me next week and put some eye-catching/humorous slogans. I'm thinking for my giant gallon size tomatoes something like "IT'S THE TOMATO THAT ATE INDIANA." Something to draw people's attention & make them take a second look. I need to think of something catchy for the coffee... Maybe "so fresh, you want to slap it"??? :D I would love some suggestions from you guys!

I do think I need to drop my prices. :( Not for the big tomatoes because they are really a steal at $5 for a gallon pot, but it was crazy how many people said that was too much! They sell them for $7 at Lowes, and I'm only asking $5! I won't lose any money, and it would be better to get rid of them so I don't have to cart them back & forth every week. Plus a big BOGO sign would probably get them sold, too.

DEFINITELY need to have samples out when I bring the veggies to market! I had 3 ground cherry plants last week that no one even looked at, so I brought some of the fruit with me for people to sample. Sold all 3 in a second!

And for next year, I'm definitely growing more pepper plants. The other plant vendor has mostly herbs and tomatoes, so most of what I'm selling is peppers & some squash.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Check the grocery and the competition at the market. If you're organic up the price. Make sure the signs are easy to figure out.
curly_kate said:
I am looking for advice on pricing of my fruits and veggies at a local farmer's market in my area (Batesville, for those of you in SE IN). It is my first time selling at a farmer's market, and I'm at a loss as to how to price. If I was thinking ahead, I would have made note of what things cost last year, but I didn't. The market is in a small, but more affluent town surrounded by rural area. I know it's a VERY general description, but if anyone has some tips on how to start figuring it out, that would be awesome!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's called price fixing!
ninnymary said:
Curly-kate, if the same lady is there next week, do you think you two could get together and agree on selling at a higher price than 75 cents? Seems to me that if you both sold at say $1.50 or $2, you would both make a better profit.

Hope she isn't there next week and you're the only one selling plants! :cool:

Mary

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
So I've decided I'm going to log my thoughts here on the farmer's market so I'll be able to find it next year when I start planning! :D

Kind of a slow morning at the market today, but I got some good ideas. I have a couple of big ol' whiteboards that I think I might bring with me next week and put some eye-catching/humorous slogans. I'm thinking for my giant gallon size tomatoes something like "IT'S THE TOMATO THAT ATE INDIANA." Something to draw people's attention & make them take a second look. I need to think of something catchy for the coffee... Maybe "so fresh, you want to slap it"??? :D I would love some suggestions from you guys!

I do think I need to drop my prices. :( Not for the big tomatoes because they are really a steal at $5 for a gallon pot, but it was crazy how many people said that was too much! They sell them for $7 at Lowes, and I'm only asking $5! I won't lose any money, and it would be better to get rid of them so I don't have to cart them back & forth every week. Plus a big BOGO sign would probably get them sold, too.

DEFINITELY need to have samples out when I bring the veggies to market! I had 3 ground cherry plants last week that no one even looked at, so I brought some of the fruit with me for people to sample. Sold all 3 in a second!

And for next year, I'm definitely growing more pepper plants. The other plant vendor has mostly herbs and tomatoes, so most of what I'm selling is peppers & some squash.
Great I hope you keep this post updated with all you learn at the farmers market, and what goes on there. it will be interesting!

Latest posts