Farmer's Market Report - selling fresh cut herbs?

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think part of the price issue is that there are clearly people who come there thinking it is more of a flea market than a farmer's market. But then there are people who obviously don't. So I'm going to focus my efforts on bringing products that are different than other vendors there so that I don't really have to worry so much about competing on price.

What do you guys think about putting up funny/catchy signs? Think that would work to draw them in? If I got really creative, I could come up with something new every week....

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Find your niche . . .

I'll tell you what I think . . . :rolleyes: . . . I think Americans know they have lots of food choices. And, if we are just talking volume - yep, they do. They don't need to sit behind the wheel of their car for long before arriving somewhere they can find food.

Kate, if the market you are attending is too much of a flea market, customers aren't arriving with the idea of food shopping in mind. You may want to do a little shopping yourself, for a market that's more food-centered.

Now, the customers as this food-centered market may not be showing up hungry either. I bet 90% are arriving with the idea that "this will be fun." And, that's real positive :). There's a happy feeling to seeing people drive into a parking lot with smiles on their faces . . .

Entertainment. Entertain them with something different. Yes, "grandma's vegetables" can be entertaining. After all, some people never cook . . . I'm talking adults here. Yes, even parents :/.

You may have "grandma's vegetables" and maybe you should go whole-hog in that direction. Do your darnedest to look and act like someone's idea of what a traditional grandmother looks and acts like.

Now, I don't think of you as a grandma-type and I do think it is great that we have a Heidi on TEG who has goats and makes cheese :cool:. Marginal entrepreneur that I am, I'd have her doing demo's at a farmers' market . . . dressed like she has just stepped off a box of cocoa:

http://www.amazon.com/Roma-Swiss-Miss-Costume/dp/B001D9X8OW

Now, I'm sure that you could go too far in all of this but remember: "entertainment." And part of the customer's entertainment is that they make a purchase. You want them to make that purchase, not just stand there and smile. And the product can't be too exotic because you want them to use it when they get home and come back for more. There can be only so much time spent in educating the public as to what grandma or a Swiss Miss would do with those products. I mean, you aren't necessarily just there for "public service."

Signs are important! Products that are different than the ordinary are too ;).

Steve,
rambling a bit

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions, Steve! Given that I'm 36, I'm not sure I'm anyone's idea of a 'traditional grandmother' (I hope!) :lol: But injecting a little humor in a situation is definitely my style, so I'm going to see what I can do with that. I do think you're right about shopping around for another market. I have made a commitment to being at this market for this summer, and I think I'm definitely going to learn a WHOLE lot, so it's good for my first foray into this type of venue. Next year, tho, I might be searching out a market closer to the city so that I can get people who will be willing to pay what good organic produce is worth. Case in point, the lady next to us sells her eggs for $1.50 a dozen! My friends and family who live in the city buy ours for $2.50 and say that they see them at farmer's markets in their neighborhoods for $3.50 and up! Prices like that would definitely more than pay for the gas and time it would take to get there.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think you have some great ideas Kate. The humorous signs would be a draw to me if I were there. A friendly face and conversation goes a long way toward building customer loyalty. At least from my perspective. I liked what you came up with for your husbands coffee.
The effort you will put into originality will surely pay off for you.

I was involved in the local farmers market several years ago for the nursery I worked for, and some of the vendors were so apathetic when you visited their booth that I don't know how they sold anything. Nothing like a glower from a vendor to scare me off!

This is an interesting thread and I'm looking forward to keeping up with your progress. :)

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Our girl Kate is selling at a typical small town farmer's market. 95% is produce sold out of the back of an old pickup or on a broken card table. 5% of the merchandise is baked goods, canned goods, along with some hand carved wooden items. Like most small towns in America they see mostly locals but those locals are, in many cases, city folk who have migrated to the hinterlands. So on any given Saturday you will see down to earth farmer type folks who are there to support the community and to purchase things they do not already grow. And they want it fresh and cheap. Then you have the migrants who want all the frills of the big city they came from along with the hominess and charm of the country. Sometimes prices aren't always top priority to them because they have the cash in their pockets.

So it's kind of hard to appeal to everyone that passes by at our little Saturday morning market.

I would encourage you to make your signs and make yourself seen. Even the old timers will respond eventually. I love our little Saturday market and I'm usually there 2 or 3 weekends a month. But I've been very sick (Lyme disease) and having a hard time catching up on things around here.

Good luck Kate and I'll surprise you one of these days.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smiles said:
I would encourage you to make your signs and make yourself seen. Even the old timers will respond eventually. I love our little Saturday market and I'm usually there 2 or 3 weekends a month. But I've been very sick (Lyme disease) and having a hard time catching up on things around here.

Good luck Kate and I'll surprise you one of these days.
So sorry to hear you're sick Smiles :hugs

Here's hoping for better days for you ahead.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I go to a Winter Farmer's Market knowing that their prices will be higher than the supermarket...but I get fresher foods and am supporting local people...
in the summer I go to the different local farms to buy fruits and veggies that I am not growing myself and I am willing to pay for the good fresh quality...
good luck I hope that under pricing lady runs out of product before you do...

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We have an overabundance of basil, and also some extra oregano. I was thinking about cutting it and selling in bundles at the farmer's market. I'm thinking I would bundle it in sprigs of 3-5 with twist ties. Should I put it in containers of water for display? Or maybe put wet paper towels on the ends? Also, the perennial question is always how much to charge. Keep in mind that everything is a steal here, but so far, I haven't seen anyone else selling cut herbs. I'm thinking $1 a bundle (3-5 stems). Does that sound reasonable?

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I would think $1.00 would be perfect kate. I sold some chives at out last farmers market for 0.50. I believe I could have easily charged a $1.00. I took some pretty card stock and just taped it around to hold them in a bundle. I did not use water and they did wilt a bit. An old timer that was selling greens next to me had made all kinds of small ice blocks in little plastic containers and placed near the base of the greens. He says he has been doing this for years and his greens looked amazing. I will do that next time for sure.

Best wishes!

Latest posts