Farmer's Market Report - selling fresh cut herbs?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think that most of the sales of farmers' market herbs are made on impulse. Many of the shoppers are not likely to purchase or use in bulk. Many of them have little experience using fresh cut herbs. . . . many, don't have much experience using fresh produce.

Well anyway, their hearts are in the right place :).

So, making it easy for them to try something new is a real good idea. At least, it seems that way to me. Low price, even for a small bunch - fits with that buy-on-a-whim kind of thinking you may need to appeal to.

It doesn't mean that the bunch isn't a good buy - just small. Perhaps, 10 bunches would go for a discount. Don't give anything away, tho', even if it has very little value - except, to your favorite neighbor or customer or family member. Yes, I can remember when 10 would buy a loaf of bread but have you seen what $1 will buy you out of a snack machine these days?? Folks just don't cling to a greenback too tightly, anymore.

Keeping things fresh on a table is tricky - maybe more so with basil given its sensitivity to cold. My old fridge in the carport is too cold for basil but coolers under the table with what you have pulled out of appropriate storage temperature an hour or 2 earlier is a good idea. But . . . you do have to balance that better storage with the need for a "pile it high & kiss it good-by" display. Shallow trays with an inch of water are good for lots of green produce.

Steve

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Good tips! I usually pack everything the night before (because it's already MURDER to get up at 6:15! :D), but I think I'll go out in the morning and pick my bundles. I want it to look as fresh as possible. Usually, if I have extra basil, I put it in a glass with a little water, like I would a cut flower, and it seems to last pretty well.

Steve - I was thinking that small would be better. Even when I buy fresh herbs in the grocery store, I end up with wayyy more than I can use, so I end up drying it. Most people probably end up throwing the extras away. I'll see what a bunch of 3 sprigs looks like, and then adjust from there. I have Genovese basil, which has HUGE leaves, but also lemon basil, which has much smaller leaves, so I think I might need to adjust accordingly. I'll see if I can come up with some recipes to use the more unusual types of herbs.

myfirstgarden

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I love shopping at my farmers market. I'm a college student and tend to search for the best priced items. I am drawn to the booths that have a lot of things rather than a few: variety and amount, with a few exceptions, like berry and mushroom booths. One reason I love the market is that I'm buying fresh local veggies, instead of supermarket, who knows how old, gmo, pesticide infected fruit. I think people shop at the market because of those thought. Signs like, "Picked Today," really make me want those veggies.

As for plant starts, this year was interesting. There was a booth that had their brand name screen printed on die cut boxes and a big sign. Their plants for $3 each. I chose to buy the cheapest starts at $1.75, because I felt like I would be paying extra for their fancy packaging, which took energy, and seemed against the whole farmers market concept. Some people did really go for the branded plants. My point is, you should choose who you want to cater to. People with money who want to be recognized for buying more expensive, which they equate to the best (which is not always or really true) or people who are at the farmers market to find good deals, which I equate to the best. This will determine how you will set up your booth, your graphics, and display. As a note I do not think you need to screen print a brand on everything to market to the higher end customers.

As for taking on a persona...There is an English egg guy. He wears a funny hat and bow tie. He speaks with an English accent, makes jokes about Americans, complements women and flirts (it's gross). To me, his product would sell itself because they are fresh chemical free eggs, but I think others go for his personality. My friends and I joke that when he goes home, he talks like a normal American, the English thing is an act. It was mentioned earlier people want to go to the market to have fun. In a way he provides a unique different experience. If you are selling something that has a lot of competition being different and likable may be beneficial.

I've started a bunch of herbs and veggies that will do well in the hot summer sun with the idea of selling them in my front yard. I need to figure out how I will set up and what my signs will say/look like.

Good luck at the farmers market. This tread has been very interesting because I hope to one day sell at the farmers market.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is a family at our local farmers' market that sells hot fresh yeast doughnuts. They fry them right there and you buy them dripping with warm icing. They show that they have some sort of Amish or Mennonite faith affiliation by their dress. I think one of the reasons people line up for the doughnuts is the (perhaps unintentional) inference that they may be more wholesome and good for you because --"Hey, this is a farmers market, and these folks are more religious than me, right? So this doughnut must be healthy!":lol: I must say, they are good!

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
When we lived south of New Orleans we always went to farmer's market on Sat. mornings. Once in a while there was a mime there (sometimes in whiteface and sometimes in blackface) with a donation cup. Once in a while there were three sisters who sang accapella (sp?) and they were very good (they had a cup too). One time there was a juggler on a unicycle there also. Even though these folks did not have anything to do with farmers or farming they added a wonderful atmosphere to the little bayou marketplace. It seemed that everyone loved the entertainment. I always bought a small bag of gator meat for Jambalaya in the middle of the week. I think farmer's markets should be fun.

Latest posts