Foundation Plantings: What Are They For?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have these huge evergreen shrubs along the front of our house; the one on each end of the house has died and been removed. So it is no longer a solid "hedge" of evergreen. Just looks weird. There is a sidewalk about 5 or 6 feet out from the house on the garage end, nothing on the other end. So I have been thinking about having someone take out those big ole shrubs. I think they are yews.
What else would look good there? A patio area? smaller shrubs? It faces south, with no trees to give it any shade.
What is the purpose of foundation plantings anyway? To frame the house esthetically? Do you have foundation shrubs?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Before paying someone to remove, put ad on CL for free yews must be dug up. I did that with some large boxwood I wanted gone. Foundation plants are suppose to soften the line between House (hardscape) and landscape. I ripped mine all out did not want anything growing against house.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have these huge evergreen shrubs along the front of our house; the one on each end of the house has died and been removed. So it is no longer a solid "hedge" of evergreen. Just looks weird. There is a sidewalk about 5 or 6 feet out from the house on the garage end, nothing on the other end. So I have been thinking about having someone take out those big ole shrubs. I think they are yews.
What else would look good there? A patio area? smaller shrubs? It faces south, with no trees to give it any shade.
What is the purpose of foundation plantings anyway? To frame the house esthetically? Do you have foundation shrubs?
There are quite a few dwarf evergreen types of plants available now that grow slowly. The hedge idea is no longer considered good design An undulating foundation planting is more attractive.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh yeah, get rid of those overgrown old shrubs.
You could replace with a range of evergreen shrubs, like Cat said, something that would have visual interest with different heights, color and texture. But shrubs are expensive and you might get sticker shock if you visit a nursery. I always figure about $40 per shrub for a decent sized one, but you can find the common ones cheaper at Big Box.

5 or 6 feet is really a decent sized bed. You could use that bed for a mixed planting of perennials and vegetables.
Some trellis' could grow ornamental vines and a variety of vining vegetables. (not on the same trellis obviously)
Grapes would do well on the south side.
Or a paved seating area if it's in an area you could use for that, although it sounds like it could be pretty hot in the summer.

Sounds like fun So Lucky! I love a new planting project.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Before paying someone to remove, put ad on CL for free yews must be dug up. I did that with some large boxwood I wanted gone. Foundation plants are suppose to soften the line between House (hardscape) and landscape. I ripped mine all out did not want anything growing against house.
I removed and severely pruned about 20 yews, 8 on the south side of the garage and 12 on the south and east side of the house. I killed 7 of those that I just pruned back. I had to dig 18 inches down and saw the tap root of the ones that I wanted to remove. Hard to kill, hard to keep.
Buy some 16"square patio blocks and fill in the spaces, or measure and fill in with ones that you find attractive. In the spring-fall you can put pots of delicate annuals on top, and it will look nice in the winter. I did this, but it was in an unusual space. DISH ran the wiring underground to my sidewalk, but next to the sidewalk it was shallow and easy to nick with the mower. When the old wiring gave up the ghost, I had the repairman help me dig it to about 9 inches deep. We kept the wiring deep to just up to the sidewalk, where he ran it on a crack between two cement sidewalk pieces. I filled in,levelled and covered with 16" pavers and some nice looking bricks. Now, I Never have to worry about mowing the wires, and I can put a pretty pot of something there in the summer, like maybe a variety of plants and wave petunias.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
These yews have been there for probably 35 years. I don't think there is any saving them if they are removed. I believe it is more a tractor and logging chain job. I like the idea of paving stones and a bench, with maybe a small ornamental tree....a Japanese maple? It would be too hot in mid summer, but other seasons would be comfortable there.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
These yews have been there for probably 35 years. I don't think there is any saving them if they are removed. I believe it is more a tractor and logging chain job. I like the idea of paving stones and a bench, with maybe a small ornamental tree....a Japanese maple? It would be too hot in mid summer, but other seasons would be comfortable there.

A seating area would be a fun thing to build. An umbrella could help stretch the comfortable seating season. A Japanese maple might be a bit touchy about the south side of a building, but there are other small trees that would work as well. Vine maple, Amur maple, Service berry, ....bunches.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I took mine out and did this instead. Less maintenance and we occasionally sit there.

photo (49).JPG

Latest posts