From one end of the Hoopie

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You have a tool to bend that conduit, Journey?

It is really quite easy to do.

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm going to make a jig, using large bolts and the side of my barn. They make a fancy jig you can buy and I've also seen one made using scrap wood and plywood.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
If your plants are already outdoors . . . what have you done for protection? You have snow this morning, right?

Steve
Yes, it snowed until about 11:00, but it was above freezing last night, the animals water didn't freeze.

These are my "lab rat" tomatoes that I'm experimenting with. I planted 6 twenty gallon tree pots. I surrounded the toms in three of the pots with Redneck Wall O' Waters ( juice jugs) and put a covering of bubble wrap over that. The other three got a clear trash bag lowered over a 4 short (about 1') stakes then filled with about 4 gallons of water, so that the water surrounds the plant, then I tied the top shut, and poked a fist sized ventilation hole in the side that I am closing at night with a clothespin.

So far they almost all look good, Bloody Butcher looking the best, some of the others looking a little paler than they did the day I planted them (Sat.) and the Japanese Trifele looks melted.

I saved the other half of my starts just in case this is a spectacular failure.

Here they are on the south side of my shed.

7504_teg_projects036.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, thistle, we'll all do just about anything for a garden ripened tomato! Looking good!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is my contribution to the "easy" part of TEG!

DSC00038.JPG

I will fill it completely for the night. The plants aren't warmer hanging out on the deck overnight despite all the wood around them. And, I was getting tired of moving them on and off. Actually, with our miserable weather yesterday - the plants on the deck just sat there under a roof all day.

These are all things that can take a frost and there's no doubt we will have more. I can ventilate it 2 ways: by taking the weight off the plastic on the ends so that the plastic lifts a little or by rolling the plastic around the board. Of course, I can roll the plastic all the way open.

One thing I like about hoopies, besides that they are cheap & easy, is that the plants have protection from the wind even when the hoopie is half open.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
DSC00042.JPG

And, here it is filled and closed up for the night.

Hmmm, maybe if it is going to be mid-30's with 20mph gusts tomorrow morning - I should tuck that corner down a little for them . . .

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is Hoopie #2:

DSC00043.JPG

I stopped while filling it. Notice how my calendula are getting beat up from all the moving. This will give them a break from the twice-a-day.

I just got it filled and the soft hail began to fall! There's enuf pvc & plastic to set up 2 more of these. These little structures are better right now than setting the flats out on sawhorses in the open air. This hoopie is lower; I think I had 15' pvc at one time and cut them in half. A taller one is better at buffering temperature swings. Yeah, the sun is already out again. . . briefly!

A tall hoopie is probably a good alternative to a coldframe. In a few weeks, I will pull apart the components and store them back in the crawl space under 1 room of the house. I have to pay some attention not to damage the lawn but mostly, that just requires moving the boards, now and then.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is From one end of the Tunnel:

DSC00045.JPG

And, it is a little chaotic in there with the 35mph gusts!

Usually, I think to take a picture in there during cloudy weather. Right now, there's sunshine. Waiting for a hail storm with all the big clouds!

You can see why I'm building the little hoopies. This is supposed to be my overflow area! There's a center path but it is covered by flats of zinnias and peppers. They will have to be pulled out and put back in the greenhouse where there's little room. Getting in there with a hose was critical today but the tunnel will have to be watered tomorrow morning before the standing-room-only crowd shows up again!

Steve
struggling with too cool of temperatures

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Overflow??? You have been one busy gardener! I thought my green house was getting a little crowded, now I see how much more I can fit in there!!

Latest posts