From one end of the Hoopie

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Right now, there's a fair amount of room in the greenhouse. That is, at this moment . . .

I'm really wanting to get things outdoors and here I am moving out from one plastic cover, under another plastic cover, then under another plastic cover! Mid-afternoon, 45F/35mph wind and the wind seems to be building . . .

I'll do it all under plastic if I have to! No, that won't be possible. What do you think of my bok choy crop, Lesa? The red choy is nearest the camera in that bed.

Steve

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow... now my garden is going to look sad and empty. That's a lot of love Steve!!! :D

marypboland

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Have you ever considered using agribon instead of plastic. It's a remay like fabric that breathes, holds up better in wind and comes in various thicknesses for various levels of frost protection and light transmission. Also you can buy clips that fit various sizes of PVC pipe. Check out season extenders at Peaceful Valley Farm Supply, California. Doesn't cost more than plastic

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have used remay, Marypboland. Agribon is a complete unknown to me. I had real trouble using remay as a row cover because of the wind. It wasn't on pvc hoops, however.

It was interesting to see the aerial views of the area near Tokyo that was on the news not long ago. The on-going nuclear disaster is tragic and is having a devastating effect on the farmers near that city. So much of the crops are grown there under protection . . . not enough protection, I'm sure, from radiation.

A few years ago, I was looking at protected growing in Europe. Much there also, is grown under some kind of plastic, or another.

With fabric or film, farmers around the world are taking advantage of protective growing.

Steve

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
WOW Steve, you have been busy I see.
The weather is not cooperating this weekend, I was hoping to plant some things in the garden today and tommorow. Right now it is a muddy mess. I really like those hoop houses!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm afraid that we don't have such a nice weekend this time around, Collector.

News on NOAA for our part of the world is that temperatures over the next 6-10 days & 8-14 days (click) look Above Normal! Hooray! A record cold April may just be behind us!

What happens after - ? I'm just hoping that we have paid whatever dues are owed and can move on . . .

Steve :)

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hi all, new here :) I have my first greenhouse this year (I'll post pics when able) but I have some questions...

After reading some of your posts, it sounds like most of you in the past have taken down your greenhouses at some point during the summer - I'm assuming the main reasons are too much heat buildup or that you just don't need them anymore?? When do you usually disassemble them?

I will be able to roll up the sides of mine - it's basically plastic sheeting over a framework of recycled trellis (used to be display grid where my hubby works, he rescued it from the garbage, yay!). I have some hanging tomatoes in there, I was thinking I would roll up the sides maybe, halfway - so there was enough airflow for the plants in the ground, but a warmer microclimate above? We also have trouble with a long enough growing season to get RED tomatoes here in Montana! Has anyone tried anything like this? Do you think I need to be worried about pollination?

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ah, saw a greenhouse very similar to mine - chris09- triangular, but mine is on a raised bed.

Latest posts