Function Over Form

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is not just for modernist architecture, but also for garden hats!! 90% of my garden is in full sun, I wear hats with wide brims for sunbrun protection. My favorite hat for working in garden was sombreroish, went missing. I found a straw unisex hat with super wide brim and ordered it. I had it on with a pair of vintage Ray bans and was holding a basket for weeds, when my nephew and 2 of his friends stopped by to try and start tractor. I think one of the little ****s called me a drag queen !!!!! None would admit saying it, but all where laughing. In my garden i don't care what i look like !!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am with you there, Nyboy! Comfortable is "Cool" in my book. In the winter than means warm. If I look like a bear ready for hibernation, so be it. I'll be cozy and warm while they are laughing and freezing their tootsies off. In the summer it means cool. If I find a hat that is comfortable and blocks the sun without weighing my head down, I'll wear it regardless of whether it is "stylish" or not.

Are these three yahoos likely to spend hours in the hot sun doing what you are doing? Of course not -- at least not without the promise of big bucks and several beers -- even that would be done amid lots of whining.

My garden is my turf. If someone wants to come over they quickly learn to take me as I am or leave. Of course, in my case it is looking more like a hayseed farmer than a drag queen, but who cares? Certainly not me!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Was it pink or fuschia? :)

FYI, I usually wear shorts, red croc boots, and a wide brim hat, and gloves, as I'm pushing the recycling bins to the curb. I wonder what my neighbors think?

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This afternoon, I drove by a nice home with a few acres of yard.

All of that ground is very well cared for. I don't believe I have ever seen the owners out doing a thing. It is all professionally done and there has been plenty of work put into the landscaping over the years.

Today, one of the pro's was out wearing a bright red hat. Broad brimmed and straw or something resembling ... he stood out well on the landscape. He couldn't have looked smarter (out standing in his field) - that's my thinking ;).

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score

FYI, I usually wear shorts, red croc boots, and a wide brim hat, and gloves, as I'm pushing the recycling bins to the curb. I wonder what my neighbors think?

Mary

Is that all you are wearing? A bathrobe maybe? I'm not even going to guess what the neighbors are thinking.

When I'm out working I'm usually extremely sweaty and often quite dirty. I quit worrying about what people think a long time ago.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here on our new place, I wear tennis shoes, blue jeans, t shirt and a dollar store straw hat. Barely any cars driving by....

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our Garden is near a busy roadway. I am the one usually up front weeding and working in the flower beds. Vegetables are farther from the road and behind shed. I must be a sight bending over with my BIG fanny in the air. I am honked at OFTEN. :p

Last edited:

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Is not just for modernist architecture, but also for garden hats!! 90% of my garden is in full sun, I wear hats with wide brims for sunbrun protection. My favorite hat for working in garden was sombreroish, went missing. I found a straw unisex hat with super wide brim and ordered it. I had it on with a pair of vintage Ray bans and was holding a basket for weeds, when my nephew and 2 of his friends stopped by to try and start tractor. I think one of the little ****s called me a drag queen !!!!! None would admit saying it, but all where laughing. In my garden i don't care what i look like !!

LMAO!!

Mary

Double LMAO!!

Our Garden is near a busy roadway. I am the one usually up front weeding and working in the flower beds. Vegetables are farter from the road and behind shed. I must be a sight bending over with my BIG fanny in the air. I am honked at OFTEN. :p

Don't know that I would mention that while discussing bending over...:lol::lol::lol: