Garden Dreams

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Each year when I plant my garden, I always have that one dream of harvesting something that drives me the most....the first tomato sandwich of the season! I can see it, smell it and almost taste it as I type these words. A big ol' slab of sweet Brandywine mater on some homemade bread, slice of sweet onion, salt, pepper, Miracle Whip(some prefer Mayo).

What harvest item to you anticipate eagerly each year? :drool

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tomatoes are up there, but with them it's not my first one. It's when the cherry tomato I plant near the gate consistently has ripe tomatoes I can snack on every time I walk by. Or is it when the plums get really dead ripe and I eat a couple of those in the morning when I go down to let the chickens out?

I think tops on my list would be fresh corn. How can you beat corn straight from the garden to the table?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, yes!!! That first, sweet, buttery ear with kernels that pop tenderly in your mouth! :drool That's right up there with my mater dream! And the first baby red potatoes...sweet, crunchy, cooks up even more sweet and tender. :th

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sometime in my twenties,

I realized how nice life was when the sweetcorn, crisp cucumbers and ripe tomatoes were all available at the same time. Butter on the corn, a splash of apple cider vinegar and a sprinkle of black pepper on the cucumbers and tomatoes ...

A couple slices of cheddar and, ... there was my meal right there!

:) Steve

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our ultimate garden moment is when we can make what we call slumgullion, which is just tomatoes, squash, sweet corn, new potatoes, sweet and hot peppers, onions and spices all simmered down in an iron skillet and thickened slightly with corn meal. We eat it as is or over taters, pasta, biscuits, etc.

That is our favorite celebration of the total harvest.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
freshly picked green beans sauteed in a little butter and garlic, nothing like the way they squeak when you chew them...
fresh lettuce and other spring veggies for a big grilled chicken salad
fried green tomatoes
cucumbers,ripe tomatoes, bell peppers ,basil in a little rice wine and balsamic vinegar dressing
sweet corn
a late summer watermelon just dripping down your chin

dang made myself hungry....

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Me too... garden dreams are some of the best, most visual day dreams I have. They hold such memory!

Rhubarb, picked fresh and peeled right there in the garden...a sprinkle of salt from Granny's big tin salt shaker, juice running down my chin and my saliva glands tightening down with the rush of tart goodness.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
PEAS. Especially if I can sneak a few new potatoes from the hill and have baby potatoes and fresh peas.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This might be the harvest question ever (pun intended). Assuming that I'm allowed to choose more than one...

Both winter and summer squash, peas of any kind, beans of any kind, and okra, oh - and sunflower seeds. Yeah, I can't decide! :drool And so many delicious things that I can't grow or don't already. And so many things that are potentially delicious that I haven't tried yet. So hungry now - thanks a lot!

Latest posts