Garden Photos, Everyone Post Some

nittygrittydirtdigger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Petey, how are you getting rid of the @!!$%&@# goatheads? We've tried everything, and they are still our most productive 'crop'. Those suckers have flattened wheel barrow tires, punctured feet right through our sneakers, caused our dog untold misery, and snuck into the house on our pantslegs to waylay us in our bare feet.

Daisy, that whole set up is just gorgeous and inspiring!

I'll have a picture of our garden-in-progress as soon as the winds die down.

pretty40acres

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
8828_imag0003.jpg

8828_imag0002.jpg

8828_imag0005.jpg

8828_imag0007.jpg

Just a few of my flowers that have bloomed! :tools

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
nittygrittydigger-the thing I have found about goat heads is they tend to grow where there is bare dirt and no water the best. Unfortunately, they seem to spread by seed, root and stem. Everywhere I have scraped, dug and planted they have disappeared. I am planting cover crops in the corrals now to eliminate them back there, since my cow is going to be dry for a couple of months. If I can't get around to planting, I am desperate enough to spray when they come back on bare ground!

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Okay here are some pics of my garden. Warning it is not as tidy and weed free as you guys, I resisted the urge to do macros so these are overview shots. I also do not do traditional garden styles.

7236_dsc_0464.jpg

This is an overview of both gardens. Each brown building is coop and in the center of a 50 x 50 garden that is segmented like an orange, each segment is a potential garden or chicken run depending on what I have growing and where I want the chickens. The larger unfinished building is another coop / storage shed for the future chicken moat.

7236_dsc_0466.jpg

I am calling these tire towers, they are all around the outsides of the gardens each is planted in a different vine or psuedo vine (tomatoes, cukes, melons, squash, malibar spinach, tomitillos and more)

7236_dsc_0468.jpg

We have very hot summers, so this is my plan for the chickens for this summer. The gardens are to the east of the coops, so the most shaded, there are tire towers and trellises all through it w/ vining crops to add to the shade and the whole area is planted it various sunflower, kale, mustard, turnips, radish etc.. for them to munch on when they get put in this summer.

7236_dsc_0469.jpg

This is just one of the 16 individual gardens.

gardentoad

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
here is before
8205_garden_containers.jpg

After
8205_garden3.jpg

before
8205_garden_pots1.jpg

After
8205_garden2.jpg

Before
8205_garden_pots.jpg

After
8205_garden1.jpg

everything seems to be coming along nice..
The big white area at the top of the last pic is where my DW used to be bending over weeding..I though
it would be nice to show how everything is growing buy she said NO!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :hide

Don

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
AllyRodrigues said:
Wow, you guys have beautiful gardens! Here is one of my son working in our garden yesterday. It's a lot smaller than most of yours!

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/8784_mateusgarden.jpg
If you haven't finished filling those raised beds-put a think layer of newspaper down under the soil. (The old fashioned internet delivered to your door) You would be surprised how long grass rhizomes will live and then struggle to the top. I always say start small. My 2 and 4 year old grandsons help me. We look through daylily catalogs together for fun. Hope their interest is there when I'm too old to keep up with it!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, Marshall, since you asked so nicely. The quality of photos is not good, but maybe you can get an idea. They were all taken this morning.

6180_overview.jpg

A general overview of the 50' x 75' main garden. Notice the 10' deer fencing. It works.

6180_south_side.jpg

A view along the south side. That pile in the corner is mainly Bermuda grass and roots I've cleaned out when preparing it. That will eventually go in the compost pile.

6180_southeast.jpg

A shot toward the southeast.

6180_north_side.jpg

Along the West side. I still need to dig out and preare that green mess in there. That will eventually be corn. It's hard to see, but I have a pile of partially composted cow manure, some bales of wheat straw for mulch, and a pile of wood chips on the outside of that far fence.

6180_grapes.jpg

My grape trellis. I think it will be a good year.

6180_strawberries.jpg

My Strawberries. They died last summer during the heat and drought so I am starting over. I have two of these.

6180_hops.jpg

The hops are growing pretty well this spring. The trellis on the right will be pole beans.

6180_fruit.jpg

The trees in this shot are mostly fruit trees.

6180_nuts.jpg

While these are mostly nut trees. You can see the chickens in their electric netting. You can kind of see a lot of the trees are inside their own fence for protection from deer. This shot is facing west. You may be able to guess the direction of my prevalent wind by looking at the trees.

6180_compost.jpg

Then what garden photo set would be complete without the compost pile.

nittygrittydirtdigger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Peetyfoozer, thanks for that info about the goatheads. That pretty much summarizes what I keep telling the hubster......something is going to grow everywhere on our few acres, and it's up to us to make sure it's something we WANT.

Everyone, you are all gardening geniuses! I'm so inspired! Back to the hoe and tiller!

Latest posts