Gardening with children

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
My granddaughter is my gardening companion, and has been for sometime. Given the right encouragement children will enjoy the gardening experience at an early age. I caught Ava "drifting" and snapped this photo; one wonders where their minds are at times like this. My wife likes to think that she is listening to angels speak to her.
Jack B.

angels.jpg

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
AllyRodrigues said:
My husband grew up in rural Brazil, so is more comfortable with growing things, but barely eats any of them! He's nice enough to help me grow all the veggies he won't touch, though!
Ally... I just wanna say... your husband is a cutie patootie! :thumbsup ;)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Adorable Jack! Nothing like a little one out in nature with you. They learn to appreciate so much more! My daughter is still doing an awesome job, but she's at an age where her mind wonders and she'll give a good 10 minutes in the garden before her imagination calls her off to something else. I take care of most of it now, but she does weed a bit, helps spread mulch, waters and loves to pick and taste test. That's good enough for me. :D Ava reminds me a lot of my little Zoe, who's middle name happens to be Ava.

:)

Ally you are a lucky girl, my man won't eat his veggies either... but he'll turn the earth, help me weed and haul compost for me. He'll even add more garden whenever he feels like it. I think he likes the actions of what we're doing... not so much the end result!

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Preach it Hoodat!

The little boy next door has grown up farming by his mom's side the other day he was over at our farm by my beats that I am growing to seed. He looks at them and says (he's 3), "Are these beats? April, I think they are bolting. No good for eating now."

I just love this kid. He knows what all the tractor implements are, what the seeds l. look like, how to harvest, and the rhythm of the seasons. It's truly AWESOME hearing it come out of his tiny mouth!!!!!!

weonlycut

Sprout
Reaction score
Gardening becomes really interesting when you involve children in it. Their questions brush up your mind as well provide them with a lot of useful information which would help them in the future when they will set up their own gardens.

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
When my brother was very young he would sit under the tomato tree. We ask him what he was doing he replied , "I am eating oranges!!" :lol:

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score