Gardening with children

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
So adorable, Jack. Nothing better.
jackb said:
My granddaughter is my gardening companion, and has been for sometime. Given the right encouragement children will enjoy the gardening experience at an early age. I caught Ava "drifting" and snapped this photo; one wonders where their minds are at times like this. My wife likes to think that she is listening to angels speak to her.
Jack B.

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp121/hydrogardener/angels.jpg

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
When I retired I said that I wanted to devote much of my time to children. We have two of our six grands who live close and they help in the gardens most of the time. I also work with the 4-H kids in our county twice a month. They're all precious.

The little ones in this thread are special. I love it when you guys post pics of the kids.

GEDC0606.jpg

GEDC0620.jpg

GEDC0613.jpg

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
The best. When my own kids were little we put the extra veggies out front with a sign for 25 cents. At the end of the season we went out for giant ice cream sundaes. I forgot all about that. I will have to resurrect that tradition with my grandsons. I guess I can raise the price to 50 cents. Hahahahah.
Smiles said:
When I retired I said that I wanted to devote much of my time to children. We have two of our six grands who live close and they help in the gardens most of the time. I also work with the 4-H kids in our county twice a month. They're all precious.

The little ones in this thread are special. I love it when you guys post pics of the kids.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a12/Charlos/GEDC0606.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a12/Charlos/GEDC0620.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a12/Charlos/GEDC0613.jpg

strantor

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I had been wanting to start a garden for a long time, but been procrastinating because of time constraints, the fact that I don't know what I'm doing, lack of space, and several more excuses. It wasn't until my 6 y/o daughter came to me and said "I want to make a garden! Daddy, can we make a garden?" and I said "I do too, and yes we can." That's how it started. She lost interest when we actually started gardening and she found out that you have to touch dirt and bugs, but I'm slowly trying to get her back into it. I will be a unique adventure since both her and I have about equal knowledge of how to grow things.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pumpkins and sunflowers are a great place to start with kids. My grandsons love to dig potatoes and eat fresh veggies right out of the garden.
strantor said:
I had been wanting to start a garden for a long time, but been procrastinating because of time constraints, the fact that I don't know what I'm doing, lack of space, and several more excuses. It wasn't until my 6 y/o daughter came to me and said "I want to make a garden! Daddy, can we make a garden?" and I said "I do too, and yes we can." That's how it started. She lost interest when we actually started gardening and she found out that you have to touch dirt and bugs, but I'm slowly trying to get her back into it. I will be a unique adventure since both her and I have about equal knowledge of how to grow things.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
My 4 and 5 year old grand daughters love to help out in the garden, too. The 5 year old especially loves the herbs, and likes to go around picking a stem of all the good smelling herbs to make a paper sack of potpourri. I also showed them how to look for and squish cabbage worms on the broccoli. It kept them busy for a good while. Funny how kids love to do anything that seems grown up them. I had them mopping floors and cleaning windows today!

strantor

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I will look into getting some sunflowers, that's a good idea. Maybe will get her more interested. The thing is, she's a "prissy" girl and I don't know if she is ever going to warm up to the idea of getting dirt on her hands. It's pretty extreme too, like she won't walk across the grass in sandals because bugs might touch her feet, and she won't pet dogs because she believes that they're inherently disgusting, even fresh out of the bath. She's my stepdaughter and she grew up without a dad until last year; I'm hoping its not too late for me to influence some tomboy into her.:)

Latest posts