Getting a Green house

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ok I know I have been posting for several years that I was going to get a green house. I know I have serious committment issue and have to research and look and think about it forever (about everything not just this). Anyway, I have the money, the greenhouse picked out and even laborers for the construction. I have a location picked out and yesterday at lowes I found for flooring material for the greenhouse.

I was going to put down some concrete pavers for the floor but yesterday when I was looking at those, I found these 24" x 24" recycle tire blocks on clearance at lowes. The only thing I am still working out is how to anchor it. I am assuming that the greenhouse will have instruction on that so I am not sweating that too much. I was also planning on getting some 4x4 to use as a base and then anchor them to them ground somehow. I have requested that for a Christmas present that my youngest two sons donate they time and muscles instead of buying me something for Christmas. They would have gotten drawn into it anyway and both are short on money so they eagerily agreed to it.

I was leaning toward the snap and grow which look awesome on the internet but yesterday at Menard's I saw what it looks like and I don't think that will survive my windy hilltop. So I am looking a little more but now have a better idea of what I need.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The deed is done. I have ordered an awesome greenhouse from habor freight which is the best price of the greenhouses I have seen. It also has solider (I don't know if that is a word) panels than the snap and grow. I also watched a video on YouTube on how to put the panels in which is the big problem most people have.

By the way... Habor Freights has they greenhouses on sale. 6'x8' for $299.00. At that price I could afford the upgrade window opener and a set of copper solar lights so I can work in there when I get home for work because it will be dark for another couple of months. Very excited. Still less money then I would have had in the Snap and Grow from Menards.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Congrats!

I hope you enjoy many years of use. My 6x8 greenhouse - now about 20 years old - was from Harbor Freight. Not much difference in price if I recall correctly. A very sturdy little building indeed.

What type of panels did you get?

My greenhouse could do with new panels soon. . . mostly because I didn't properly seal the panel ends, still, it was a great deal and a lot of fun. We had lots of 8x16 cement blocks with an enamel coating on the front. We set these for a floor. Easy to sweep clean and all the water went between the cracks.

I did have a problem with the wind at first. We live on one of the highest spots in Rock County. Occasionally, the wind would blow a panel or two off the greenhouse. In time, a couple of evergreens we had planted west of the greenhouse grew large enough to block - or slow down - the wind and I've had no problems in many, many years. Even something like the orange snow fencing would help slow the wind. Nothing fun about chasing plastic panels in the wind.

U-Tube how-to? Ha! Nothing like that in my day. I'll bet it would have been useful, although, DH is one of those who can get things together and then read the instructions while he relaxes afterward.

Love, Smart Red

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a tunnel greenhouse with metal screw anchors. They get pulled up by big winds. We are going to dig down and pour concrete over them to help hold them in. It has never come loose but we hve to reset it every year. You are going to have a blast!!!!

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Smart Red said:
Congrats!

I hope you enjoy many years of use. My 6x8 greenhouse - now about 20 years old - was from Harbor Freight. Not much difference in price if I recall correctly. A very sturdy little building indeed.

What type of panels did you get?

My greenhouse could do with new panels soon. . . mostly because I didn't properly seal the panel ends, still, it was a great deal and a lot of fun. We had lots of 8x16 cement blocks with an enamel coating on the front. We set these for a floor. Easy to sweep clean and all the water went between the cracks.

I did have a problem with the wind at first. We live on one of the highest spots in Rock County. Occasionally, the wind would blow a panel or two off the greenhouse. In time, a couple of evergreens we had planted west of the greenhouse grew large enough to block - or slow down - the wind and I've had no problems in many, many years. Even something like the orange snow fencing would help slow the wind. Nothing fun about chasing plastic panels in the wind.

U-Tube how-to? Ha! Nothing like that in my day. I'll bet it would have been useful, although, DH is one of those who can get things together and then read the instructions while he relaxes afterward.

Love, Smart Red
Yeah the YouTube was great because the guy was showing that if you put the clips in pointing down (I think a lot of people put the up and the panels can fly out) then it holds them in securely. It was very helpful. We live in a very windy spot. Up on a hill in South East Ohio. I also read that some people use silicone to put the panels in with. I think that would be helpful.

The panels are UV-coated polycarbonate panels. I don't know if they have replacement parts. They have a 10x12 one that is georgous but I don't think I need one that big. I was tempted though.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
catjac1975 said:
I have a tunnel greenhouse with metal screw anchors. They get pulled up by big winds. We are going to dig down and pour concrete over them to help hold them in. It has never come loose but we hve to reset it every year. You are going to have a blast!!!!
I thought about building a tunnel greenhouse. I even have the plastic but I just wasn't sure it would hold up in the wind. The tunnel was going to away from my house in an unprotected area. The greenhouse will be closer to the house and be completely protected from the north wind. The west .... it's still exposed but I am hoping the house will give some cover.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yaay 'Dorie! You're going to be able to get a jump on your spring starts now! I've considered the HF ones also. A few people on the forum here have them and are happy with them.

Keep us posted on how it does for you, and what all you'll be growing in there. That's very exciting!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
HunkieDorie23 said:
The panels are UV-coated polycarbonate panels. I don't know if they have replacement parts. They have a 10x12 one that is georgous but I don't think I need one that big. I was tempted though.
You will ALWAYS NEED the larger size! Are yours double-poly panels? There are replacement parts - not through Harbor Freight, but through several greenhouse sites. I even purchased some replacement clips through one such site. One plus to the greenhouse site purchase -- I started getting "Professional" grower catalogs at far better prices than regular catalogs.

Another thing we did to keep the wind from blowing out panels was to add a middle strip inside and out on each panel. With the clips, the wind could blow the centers in and pop the panel out. At other times, it seemed the wind would suck the panels out. Reducing the in/out movement made a great difference.

Love, Smart Red

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You know, you are scaring me with this wind thing . . .

That greenhouse that I've had in boxes for a number of years, it's polycarbonate. The frame is plastic . . ! I may be setting it up in the neighbor's yard in March.

What I've got going for me is that there's a number of buildings around - his backyard is as small as mine. He just doesn't already have an existing greenhouse, like I do. . . . nor, a plastic tunnel.

The 2nd thing I've got going is that the prevailing wind would lift the new greenhouse and dump it right back in my yard! Not the best situation but better than flying off into yet another person's property.

I don't really know about any anchors for it. It was a discontinued model. (Of course, that means if it blows apart I may have real trouble finding replacement parts.) The tunnel has collapsed from a March snow, twice. It hasn't blown away in about 12 years and is up about 3 1/2 months each year. All that is holding it down besides bricks is crossed twine from corner to corner, tied to stakes. I'd be willing to rope the new greenhouse down.

Steve
And, Congratulations on the Greenhouse, 'Dorie! They are lots of fun :cool:!

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Here's a link to a thread I posted on my Horrible Freight green house build.
They do have parts available and I ordered 2 pkgs of extra panel clips to better secure the panels. Before I doubled up on the clips I would have a panel blow out ever now nad then.

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=26905

I've enjoyed mine and would recommend it to everyone!!!

THANX RICH

Latest posts