Getting a Green house

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Congrats on the greenhouse! My redneck greenhouse of PVC frame wrapped in plastic is set over long rebar stakes which go inside the PCV tubing. The plastic is duct taped on and held down by bricks. Had some wind the last few days of 50 MPH plus. It didn't go anywhere.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
You know, you are scaring me with this wind thing . . .
[/i]
No, no, no! Not scary! Just a need to be aware of what we encountered with what I think is the same unit.

Ours was the 2ply poly- panels with aluminum everything else. Nice sturdy building. As I said, ours is perhaps 20 years old and still doing well. That's a great value in my opinion.

We did not get the extra base unit. I don't remember how DH anchored the greenhouse, although I'd imagine something went through the cement block floor we installed.

The Vis-Screen covered mini-tunnel I built over a raised veggie bed managed to withstand the wind as well, so perhaps I'm being overly cautious.

Love, Smart Red

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help and advise. It is a great help. I have watched several YouTube vidoes on this greenhouse some do's and don'ts. I am feeling better about the construction.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Congrats! You will love having a greenhouse! JackB has the HF one, and he does amazing things with his. Keep us posted on what you are growing!
Enjoy!

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I know that is the reason I went with that one. I know I have warmer weather then JackB so I am hoping that even if I screw stuff up for a while I won't be too bad. I have had no luck with rosemary so I am hoping that I can put a plant in there.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
dickiebird said:
Here's a link to a thread I posted on my Horrible Freight green house build.
They do have parts available and I ordered 2 pkgs of extra panel clips to better secure the panels. Before I doubled up on the clips I would have a panel blow out ever now nad then.

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=26905

I've enjoyed mine and would recommend it to everyone!!!

THANX RICH
Nice job with greenhouse. How does it do being on the deck? I was wandering if the floor was colder not being on the ground. Do you have a problem with that or have you already fixed that issue.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
H/D I'm sure it's cooler on the deck, without a floor, but it's soooo convenient right outside my back door!!!
I have never tried to add any heat as I have room inside to start and overwinter plants. It's use is from Mar to Oct.
Right now there are a few things still in there cactus, leaks stuff that low temps won't hurt.

THANX RICH

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I wish I could put mine right outside on our patio but I don't have that luxury. My patio gets morning sun until about 2:00 at the latest. I have a nice sunny spot right out back where is will do pretty well. March to October is very good for a greenhouse. I am hoping for some winter vegetables like corn salad and other lettuce blends and maybe green onions and some cool crops if I get a good system going.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Finially got some tracking info on my greenhouse. It left CA on the 21st in now in WV (right next door) but won't be delivered until next week. Mostly because the trucking company shuts down for the holiday week. The boys couldn't put it together in this weather anyway. The freezing rain has stopped and now it's just snowing.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Greenhouse is coming along. We have to finish the door and puttin the two panels in the roof where the vents go. We just put the Polycarb panels in today and I have a question.... did anyone seal them in? Smart Red said she didn't seal them so do most people seal them to extend to life of the panels and greenhouse?

I also ordered 200 4" pots and a couple of trays for them to set on. I am getting excited. Thinking about potting mix and what I want to do with it. Plus is the pots were made in the USA so my hobby is keeping an american in a job.

Latest posts