Give aways

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since I am unable to cultivate as much land as in years past, I am forced to begin cutting back my seed collection. There will likely be several rounds of varieties dropped, and I would much prefer to give those seeds to others rather than toss them into my tree line.

This round is pepper seeds:
  • Cubanelle (2014) large, very productive sweet pepper, best used green
  • Karlo (2017) thick, conical bell-like peppers on short plants, mild heat, good paprika
  • Professor Meader's Chocolate (2017) sweet, elongated bell-like peppers, somewhat thin flesh, brown when ripe, short DTM & highly productive
  • Ralph Thompson's Squash (2016) flattened, highly ruffled tomato-shape, bright red ripe, moderately hot.
I'll try to post what photos I have later. If anyone is interested in any seed I post on this thread, just PM your address & I'll send them out. FYI, although these seeds are old, nearly all of the peppers I started this year were from 2016-2017 seed, and had at least 50% germination. Cubanelle might not do as well, and I have not tested it - but hey, its free. :D

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I checked my photos, the only one I have of those above is for Ralph Thompson's Squash.
20160930_190424.jpg

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Any Ralph Thompson's Squash left, Zeed? They're beautiful! 😍
Yes, I still have seed... but it is from 2016, so can't vouch for its germination rate. You would probably have to pre-sprout a large amount of seed, and plant any which showed signs of life. I could send a hundred or so; the seeds have been stored in a cool dark area, chances are there are still a few alive.

Hornad

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yes, I still have seed... but it is from 2016, so can't vouch for its germination rate. You would probably have to pre-sprout a large amount of seed, and plant any which showed signs of life. I could send a hundred or so; the seeds have been stored in a cool dark area, chances are there are still a few alive.
Last year I found some pepper seeds from 2012 sitting on the shelf in the shed, so they had been exposed to a decade of both high temperatures and freezing winters. I figured that I'd be lucky to get a couple to sprout and poured the whole packet into my little sprouting tray (in a former life it held baby spinach from the grocery store). When nothing came up I knew I had been right and that time and storeage conditions had ruined the seeds, so I forgot about it and reused the space to sprout broccoli and cauliflower.
A month later they sprouted. I don't know how many were in the package but it seemed like every single seed germinated flooding my sprouting tray with peppers.
So my advice is to just be moderate, don't plant too many more peppers than you plan to grow.

also may I have some Professor Meader's Chocolate?

Ladyreneer

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
@Zeedman,
That sounds great! I have tomato and a few pepper seeds. What would you like in exchange? :thumbsup

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Zeedman,
That sounds great! I have tomato and a few pepper seeds. What would you like in exchange? :thumbsup
Except in rare instances, I will be doing few trades, since I am already struggling to maintain as much as I can now that my DW is no longer with me (and I will be forced to reduce my gardens still further next year :(). Many of the varieties that I grow were given to me freely, and that is how I share them... and ask that recipients do the same. Hoarding, or collection without sharing, is not preservation & benefits no one. Seeds need to be disseminated widely to survive the test of time. PM your address & the seeds you want, I would be happy to send you some. I'd like to see these wonderful varieties find good homes.

Latest posts