Groundcover rose experience anybody?

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Anybody growing them? I'm designing a small bed around a birdhouse post and thought they would be a nice and different foreground plant.

From what I've read they are to be treated like a normal rose but figured I'd ask to see if anybody else's experiences are in line with what I've been reading.

Thanks

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
My DH had some of these growing on a previous property. He said they were quite hardy, got watered only when it rained (it does rain lots there) and didn't get as many aphids and bugs as his other roses did. He said they were a bit "wild", but absolutely stunning.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Did you have a specific one in mind Jared?

I have a couple of short shrubby ones, but I'm not sure if they are exactly considered ground cover roses. The red one has only gotten about a foot tall but is growing sideways, so it most likely is. My peachy orange one is a rose I bought for a client, then she changed her mind, so I adopted it. It hasn't gone through a winter in my garden yet so I don't know how hardy it is, but the red one is super healthy, loaded with blooms and not a sign of powdery mildew, blackspot, or rust.
I'll have to locate the tags and see what they are.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I appreciate the help Thistle. I was
thinking of a foreground perennial that could be seen from a bit of a distance, long bloom time, and came in a number of colors so I could fit it into the color palette I choose.

That's why I thought of planting ground cover roses on the outside edge.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
i think that sounds like a great plan Jared.
I looked for the tags, and found a lot, but not the rose ones. Apparently I'm part squirrel and have stashed those particular ones in a very safe place. They'll show up when I'm not looking for them no doubt.

Latest posts