Growing Asparagus

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OK, so I didn't read there was a specific way to plant asparagus. And I planted 12 plants in a relatively small area considering there is supposed to be 12" between each plant. I planted mine back in February or March and DID know not to mess with them the first year (no harvesting, that is). They have been growing really well and are still pushing up buds. It seems like every day I find 2-3 new ones. I worry they may over-crowd each other since they were not even CLOSE to 12" apart (all 12 plants are in an area about 3x5
paperbag.gif
).

Should I move them? Should I just move SOME of them and spread them out a bit? Should I just quit worrying about them and let them alone? And, does asparagus spread or multiply underground like sending out suckers or bulbs or some such thing? Or are 12 plants all that will ever be in this bed?

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
First of all, I am jealous that you still have asparagus.

That said, I'd just leave them alone. Most asparagus, once planted and making reasonable fronds, can manage itself. It will make bigger and bushier plants as the crowns get bigger; not 100% sure, but I believe they do spread a bit via stolons on their own. It'll grow wild in big thickets if you let it. Even if you get supposedly all male plants, there's often at least one berry-making female in there, so if you see berries then you know for sure you'll get a lot more, and often in places you didn't particularly want asparagus. Birds will eat the berries and spread the seeds every-freakin'-where, so you'll tend to get them under trees, under power lines, wherever the birdies congregate on your property.

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Asparagus now..lucky you. I have only had asparagus in the spring.Mine always spread ,I think you will have more..tho it could depend on the type. I think I planted Martha Washington, and Jersey Knight. Have you ever put it on foil on the grill, brushed with olive oil, and then lemon pepper..yummmmmm.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That is my favorite way to eat asparagus, I also make it another way sometimes for the family.
I brush it with olive oil and then wrap the asparagus with proscuitto and broil or roast it and then top it with parmesan cheese. Its delicious!

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
simple life said:
That is my favorite way to eat asparagus, I also make it another way sometimes for the family.
I brush it with olive oil and then wrap the asparagus with proscuitto and broil or roast it and then top it with parmesan cheese. Its delicious!
Never tried that, but it sounds great!! Now I cant wait till spring, maybe can go back to old place and harvest some. :)

Latest posts