Heat On 1st Time

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
last night I opened all the windows, and dug out 2 quilts. My nephew stopped by before got up, thought house was freezing and turned on heat. Hoping summers heat and humidly are gone. What point do you 1st turn on heat ?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
my dh did the same. said when he got up he set it to go off at 62. when i woke around 8am & came down stairs i heard the sound & almost swore. it's too early! :ranti really wanted to get into October before having to crank the heat on in the house.

found out my niece from TX may be traveling up this way in a couple weeks. told dh after he was on the phone with her i hope he told her to bring some winter clothes for her & the kids since they will get a shock. she was born here in NH & lived a few years then moved with her mom & sisters to TX.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i worry about pipes too but then i remember my plumber ripped out all the copper pipes & now we have Pex that doesn't freeze & crack like metal would. i just don't want to have to fill the fuel tank too soon. at least i have a full tank but this year i really want my dh & i to get use out of the wood stove. last year was supposed to be cheaper to use the oil than wood. but when you have 'free' trees you took down, cut & split for a fraction of the costs it was still cheaper to run the wood stove for us.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had our first fire last night. Just a small one and we didn't feed it after the initial load. We didn't need it, but it was cheery. :)

I know when I'm gone visiting my sister for a week dh won't have a fire or even turn on the heater. He's fine with a cold house. :rolleyes:
But the weather is supposed to be pleasant for the beginning of the week at least.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
tonight they are predicting a dip into the mid/upper 30's here. the rest of the week the nighttime temps should be in the 40's. i still have tomatoes in the garden that are in different stages of ripening. i'll have to run out in a bit to cover them for the night.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think we're actually going to get a winter this year, it was the end of October before we even thought about turning the heat on last year. This year DH has already cycled our oil furnace a couple of mornings when he got up, he can't take the cold. Me, I can't stand it hot :hu. We have an insert in our wood burning fireplace which heats the whole house when on, can't beat wood heat for coziness. DS#2 is clearing part of his property so for the next couple of years free wood. He chops, delivers and also stacks it for us :). If it gets too warm for me I just open a window in my own little gal cave, I have my own TV and remote :celebrate, maybe that's why we're still going strong after 60 years;).

Annette

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was just thinking today how the heat bill is going up. Loads of washed clothes are going about 50/50 to the line or the dryer. They won't dry in 2 afternoon hours out there now and the line doesn't really hold two loads very well.

House furnace has been on several days over several weeks. DW forgets to turn the thermostat down at night so I try to anticipate her by turning it on and setting it low. That's my story and I'm sticking to it ;)!

Soon, DW will again have me in the habit of checking it after she goes to bed. Ritually.

Steve

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ours is programmable and is set for 68 at night. It might just kick on in the next night or two. I think the forecast is for 46 low on Monday night :( Unless I remember to over ride it. I do not mind it cool at night. We will see, I am not ready for the higher gas bill, I love the LOW summer bills. :)