Hello from the UK!

Bex

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi all! :frow
Everyone here seems to be from the US, so I hope it's okay for me to join in.
I feel rather a fraud actually as I am decidedly not green fingered. However, I will soon be buying a few acres in France and starting a smallholding with a view to becoming totally self sufficient in 5 - 7 years. This of course will involve quite a bit of growing as well as raising livestock so I imagine I will be full of questions for you all before long.
Are there any members with experience of growing in France?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome Bex to TEG! Anyone can join. I especially like people gardening in other countries. It's so interesting to see what they grow there. You will like it here where there are a lot of nice friendly people.

Mary

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Glad you found us. We have members for various countries, Australia is probably the most outside the US, Canada and England well represented, we have one in South Africa that keeps talking about going back to Ireland, and others from other countries keep stopping by. Some stick, some don't. Hope you do.

Which part of France are you talking about? I spent a summer working in Cherbourg but was living in hotels and apartments, no chance to grow anything. There is almost certainly someone on here that has a climate similar to what you will have, whether Mediterranean or Northern Europe. Many of us keep animals, chickens for most but some have horses, rabbits, and goats too. Tell us about your adventures and plans. Sounds like fun.

Bex

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thank you so much @ninnymary . It certainly does seem like a friendly and active board, which is great.

I hope you are okay out there in San Francisco. Didn't you just have a big earthquake? :eek:

Bex

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Oops, you snuck in while I was typing @Ridgerunner .
I was planning on something a bit further south than Cherbourg, just because I think the only way I'll be able to get out of bed at the crack of dawn is if the sun is shining!
I'm planning on starting out with poultry - Chickens, guinea fowl, ducks and geese. Hope to branch out ASAP into pigs, sheep and maybe a couple of cows.
Thanks for the welcome :)

Bex

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks @sumi ! I'm already feeling very welcome! :)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bex, I live about 1 1/2 hours from where the earthquake hit so there was no damage in my town. I am surprised that you heard about it out there.

Mary

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
sBo_bouncing2[1].gif

Welcome from Virginia.
"Start small and grow with your garden" is the best advice I got when I started.
It's an adventure.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Texas! We are delighted that you decided to join us and hope you stay awhile! It will be fun to compare our growing adventures with each other. Just here in the US, there is such a wide diversity of temperatures, terrain and native vegetation and wildlife. It makes things so interesting! We love members from other countries and enjoy sharing each others experiences.