How do your tomatoes grow?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
My true test of a tomato is....will once slice cover my whole sandwich? Big enough for you?
big tomato 2016.jpg

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, that looks great! My tomatoes are pretty much a dismal failure this year. Now they are rotting on the vine, before they ripen. I noticed my peppers that did so very well last year are losing leaves and look wilted. I guess the roots are rotting. Official rain amount in town was 14 inches in three days.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yum, that huge tomato looks well worth the effort to grow it. In fact, to someone who ate the first three tomatoes of the season just this week (cherries) they both look amazing.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Official rain amount in town was 14 inches in three days.
Whoa! Where are you going in that basket? I hope it's not downstream!

Today will be the 22nd day this year with temperatures above 90° ... but I'm still not getting many ripe tomatoes o_O.

Some of the plants are covered with really big fruit, green. I have been picking a couple of ripe beefsteaks every week. I'll have to post a picture of a big Goliath, still green.

You know, chopped - the juicy tomato is colander-ready quicker ;). You can also chop some cilantro into it.

Oh hey! I've got some cilantro seed in the first harvested corn patch. That worked real well last year. The stalks provide some shade but can be taken out as the weather cools ... when it does.

Yeah, tomatoes ... a little different this year is that some of the late varieties have kicked out one early fruit. There is a lag for #2, however.

Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, that looks great! My tomatoes are pretty much a dismal failure this year. Now they are rotting on the vine, before they ripen. I noticed my peppers that did so very well last year are losing leaves and look wilted. I guess the roots are rotting. Official rain amount in town was 14 inches in three days.
We have the opposite unbearable heat and drought.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Whoa! Where are you going in that basket? I hope it's not downstream!

Today will be the 22nd day this year with temperatures above 90° ... but I'm still not getting many ripe tomatoes o_O.

Some of the plants are covered with really big fruit, green. I have been picking a couple of ripe beefsteaks every week. I'll have to post a picture of a big Goliath, still green.

You know, chopped - the juicy tomato is colander-ready quicker ;). You can also chop some cilantro into it.

Oh hey! I've got some cilantro seed in the first harvested corn patch. That worked real well last year. The stalks provide some shade but can be taken out as the weather cools ... when it does.

Yeah, tomatoes ... a little different this year is that some of the late varieties have kicked out one early fruit. There is a lag for #2, however.

Steve
I am getting ripe tomatoes-later that usual. The skins seem thicker. The tomatoes are great but the quantity of greens left on the vine is not the usual quantity. The picking is still bearable. Usually I am calling friends begging them to come pick.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
On my way home now from vacation. The garden will be the first thing I check. I better find some ripe tomatoes, preferably with no holes pecked in them! o_O

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's one big and beautiful tomato!!! I love it when they get big and beautiful instead of big and ugly, with all those folds and splits.

Second picking last night and canning into soup today, hopefully, after I get done canning salsa. These blighty diseased tomato plants sure tried their best and I can't say I'm not pleased with how well they've done, considering the stress they were under.

My prettiest one this season...picked last week and still on the kitchen windowsill, as fresh as ever and awaiting that one great sandwich experience.

100_4801.jpg

And a few of the less pretty ones....

100_4793.jpg

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cat, that is a gorgeously gigantic tomato!

I don't know Bee, I think your less pretty ones look fantastic. I bet they taste great too. :)

Here's a tomato!
DSCN4031.JPG

I planted it so I can pretend it's mine. It's in a pot on a terrace and is now covered with fruit, and looks much better than the picture shows. This was it's first ripe one, which was miles ahead of everything I planted at home.
I don't understand why they aren't being picked...but I was given half a dozen to bring home so it works for me.

Latest posts