How long can I keep carrots in the garden?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you don't have too many hay bales (or, bags of pine needles in my case), you can move all the carrots to one location and cover them with the insulating layers there:

carrots%252520in%252520storage.jpg

These were 2010 carrots but there is a similar hole not too far from the kitchen door this year - just not 2 holes :rolleyes:! For some reason, there are about 4# of carrots in the crisper drawer of the fridge right now. Might have been trying to avoid a trip thru the snow . . .

They are usually only used a few at a time (from 10min ago :)):

DSC00387.JPG

Steve

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I left ours in the ground, we have been digging them as we need them. DW sent me out yesterday to dig a few pounds up I moved the straw off and the ground is frozen I doubt I could drive a nail into it with a sledge hammer Lol. There are atleast a 150 or more out there still. Next time I think I will use a thicker layer of straw. All those great carrots and can't get to them grrrr!

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Nice, good idea!! :thumbsup
digitS' said:
If you don't have too many hay bales (or, bags of pine needles in my case), you can move all the carrots to one location and cover them with the insulating layers there:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...4zb2Qjl_I/s640/carrots%2520in%2520storage.jpg

These were 2010 carrots but there is a similar hole not too far from the kitchen door this year - just not 2 holes :rolleyes:! For some reason, there are about 4# of carrots in the crisper drawer of the fridge right now. Might have been trying to avoid a trip thru the snow . . .

They are usually only used a few at a time (from 10min ago :)):

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-05RO1dWp9CE/TxhcheDYKdI/AAAAAAAABbw/00GHe44y55Q/s512/DSC00387.JPG

Steve

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Collector said:
I left ours in the ground, we have been digging them as we need them. DW sent me out yesterday to dig a few pounds up I moved the straw off and the ground is frozen I doubt I could drive a nail into it with a sledge hammer Lol. There are atleast a 150 or more out there still. Next time I think I will use a thicker layer of straw. All those great carrots and can't get to them grrrr!
Your not alone! Same situation here. Frozen solid in the ground until who knows when! The good news; they will be the first crop I harvest from this years garden! :lol:

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Stubbornhillfarm said:
Your not alone! Same situation here. Frozen solid in the ground until who knows when! The good news; they will be the first crop I harvest from this years garden! :lol:
Same here too, have carrots and rutabagas in the frozen ground. I managed to get all my beets picked before the ground froze. I actually tasted a few carrots a few weeks back when the ground thawed out. I couldn't believe how incredibly sweet and flavorful the carrots were after sitting in the cold frozen ground for so long. I know the same is true for collard greens, kale, and other greens after a frost they get sweeter and more flavor.

:D Has anyone else noticed this?

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I dug the last of my carrots this past Sat.
So far we haven't had any extended periods of sub freezing temps, just lots of moisture.
Each turn of the fork was a muddy quagmire!!!

THANX RICH

Latest posts