How many watermelons do you get off one plant?

sstoba

Sprout
Reaction score
Hello, I see the picture of the tiny watermelon and I too am curious as to why they are so small. I have 3 plants, all of which have either 1 or 2 watermelons each. However about a week ago they simply stopped growing any bigger. So now I have 5 watermelons but not a single one that is larger than 2lbs or so. The variety I planted should get to be as much as 30lbs.

Is it truly bad soil? Mine are in a raised bed that is shallow (only about 8" of soil) however its been completely turned, fertilized and has compost added. Other vegetables in the same bed seem to be growing fine. The vines appear to be healthy for the most part and are continuing to grow, but the fruit itself seems to have just stopped.

My zone is 10 I live in Los Angeles about 5 miles from the city in an area called Eagle Rock. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
:welcome I wouldn't think your soil would be a big problem, sstoba. I am not trying watermelon this year, although I now wish I had, since they are from $4 to $8 at the grocery! Sometimes gardening is a craps shoot, as much as we would like to think our expertise (!) is responsible. Next year your melons may be really big. That's not much help this year tho is it?

Latest posts